Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"The Chicken"?

70chevelle
70chevelle Posts: 280
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been reading about 'The Chicken' and it sounded excellent. I made it yesterday for the family, plus the oldest's boyfriend. I liked the way it was cooked, but the sauce didn't impress. I'm not sure if I did something wrong, but it was very salty and vinegary and didn't really agree with anyones palate. I followed the recipe with the exception of the red pepper flakes.
Juice of 1 lemon
2 Tbs crushed red pepper
2 Tbs black pepper
1 Tbs cayene pepper
4 Tbs kosher salt
2 Tbs chile powder
2 Tbs Louisiana hot sauce
2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbs garlic powder
2 Tbs dijon mustard
1 pint of white vinegar

On the upside, the vege's were excellent and the texture and juicyness of the chicken was also excellent. For the future, I think I'll try 2 different things.

1) Different sauce, and pulling the chicken off the egg at 1 hour to dip and then back on the egg for the last half hour to crisp up.

2) Using a rub to flavor the flour and not use a sauce.

See any inherent issues with either of those?

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Did you add/whisk the oil into the sauce after it came to a boil?

I tend to make it with considerably more lemon juice and a tsp cayenne instead of a Tbsp.

You can always cook veggies under chicken, with or without using "the" sauce.
  • Yes, mixed up the main ingredients, brought to a boil and then whisked in the oil. The 4 Tbs of kosher salt seemed like a lot as I put it in the pot. It seemed like it needed a sweet component to cut the vinegar & salt a little.

Correct on the vege's, especially since they don't ever see the sauce during the cooking process. My wife felt that they were going to be overcooked in 90 minutes (I had my reservation also ;) ), but they were very good.
  • Those ARE a lot of heavy spices and SODIUM for 1 bird!!

I'd start out by cutting the salt WAY BACK -- a teaspoon for a whole bird is plenty!

I'd probably do my first with teaspoons instead of tablespoons of the rest of spices, 'cept maybe the dijon style mustard...maybe even cut the vinegar with water or broth...

would like to try Randy's just to see how it's "supposed" to taste

I'm like you --- too much salt ruins the flavor B)
  • All the salt does not go on the chicken and the chicken is only briefly dipped in the sauce, although it does steep in the coating.
    Jana thought it tasted much like wings made with Franks's Wing sauce - I think that was the strong vinegar taste. I enjoyed the spicy, but not too hot, taste. She would prefer a different sauce, I think, BUT as long as she isn't having to cook, I think she will continue to 'enjoy' whatever I serve up! :laugh:
  • Oblio
    Oblio Posts: 53
    We did ours sans juice (I forgot it @ store) and it turned out well.

Made wings the next day but used reduced sauce (dipped and drizzled) and put wings on pan covered with HDAF on egg after shutting and capping vents. Left on for another 30 min. Nice & spicy, though I will not reduce sauce as much next time and maybe leave uncovered.
  • I had Randy's at Waldorf and it didn't strike me as being salty. We need Randy to comment here....
    The Naked Whiz
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I've made it at least a hundred times, served it to many people, never had a complaint. Like Clark said, the chicken is only momentarily dipped into the sauce, most of the sauce is left in the bowl. -RP
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Ok, people. Time for me to speak up. If you cook Randys recipe to the letter and it doesn't suit you, oh, well. That's fine. It seems a lot of people tinker with his proven product and then complain. This is a winning recipe.I'll be doing "The Chicken" at the Plano Outlaw Gathering, Kari! :P
  • I'll be doing "The Chicken" at the Plano Outlaw Gathering, Kari!

Steve, GREAT!! Been wanting to give it a try! See ya soon :woohoo:
  • :kiss: who in the world could complain to your, Randy ???
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Hey have fun in Plano, is Molly going with you again? -RP
  • Molly only went to Austin with me; we joined her in Denver last year.
    Have also visited her home a couple of times when #1 son went to USAFA to tour and attend summer seminar.
    We are, however, very kindred spirits B)

She's not able to take more time off without pay for Plano, unfortunately :(

She will just have to make a trip down here !!

DOW & Ku
    hovering between the bats and the aliens :whistle:
  • Understand that my post was not a complaint, but a question to see if there was something incorrect in the procedure or ingredients. I do agree that everyone doesn't enjoy the same flavors, and I guess that's the case with me and my family. Again, I love the procedure and will use it again in the future, if my initial post was offensive, I apologize.
  • not to worry
    not offensive -- honest response
    Ku and I don't do a lot of salt well, either
    having not actually viewed the recipe before, I would have toned it down quite a bit for starters ;)
    Randy is a great cook and lots of people eat a whole lot more salty and very sweet food than we do

viva le difference!!
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Oh, please don't take my comments the wrong way. You have nothing to apologize for. :)