Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first Cook

Options
Egghead Willie
Egghead Willie Posts: 185
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sunday will be my first cook. I have smoked pulled pork on a basic smoker in the past and looking to try something different. What do you reccomend for my first egg cook

Comments

• i'm a bit of an oddball maybe in that i would suggest doing pulled pork just as you have done it in the other smoker. it will give you an excellent benchmark to compare what benefits you might be getting in the egg versus whatever your other smoker could achieve.

folks always ask wht their first cook should be, almost always assuming it should be gangbusters. i usually say something like chicken, burgers, or a steak. because we have all cooked that on a gasser before. and having it first time from the BGE will really open your eyes.

good luck.
    have fun. don't panic if the temps are off 25 degrees... just aim for 250, and check it a couple times if you must (if going overnight)
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    not sure if you want to smoke, grill or bake. as you know your options are wide open with what you can do with this thing. If you like pork tenderlion, i would do that. set it up indirect, with 300 to 350 dome temp and pull when you think it is done to your liking, something so tender will give you a big "thank goodness i bought this thing". there are videos for basic cooks on the big green egg webiste as well.. Good luck!
  • LFGEnergy
    LFGEnergy Posts: 618
    Options
    I would do chicken direct, 400 F, cooked to temperature. A lot of folks spatchcock, but I quarter my chix so I can pull the breasts when the hit temp and not overcook.

My first chicken cook made me sure I had made the right decision to buy and egg :laugh: :woohoo: .

Still one of my favorite cooks for overall flavor enhancement from the egg. NOTHING smells better than that chicken fat hitting the hot lump! If I could make a cologne.....

Good luck!
  • JerseyEgger
    Options
    Welcome to the forums!! tons of great people and info here. You should probably cook something you're familiar with like Biff Wellington said. It will give you a comparison, plus you'll know the tell take signs of proper doneness.

Part of being an egg owner is the fun of trying out new things and learning your groove. Temo control is amazing and sometimes so good you have to get used to it. Butts are always good to start because of the fat content. You can do your standard grill items (burgers and dogs). Heck throw on a full bird if you want. Just be patient and enjoy the learning aspect.

Don't be afraid to ask questions here!!
    -Eddie
  • kmellecker
    Options
    I would normally say spatchcock chicken because the results are absolutely amazing, but I have to agree with Biff Wellington. With your prior experience with smoking pork butts, you will have an instant comparison between the old smoker and your new Egg. You will find everything you need to know on smoking butts under the Search Forum. You will have years to experiment with new things and methods of cooking. Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of Egging.
  • Brokersmoker
    Options
    My 1st cook was a spatch **** chicken