Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jamaican me Crazy!

Options
asianflava
asianflava Posts: 313
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Went to visit relatives in FL last week. While grocery shopping at Publix, I saw some jerk sauce. I usually use Walker's Wood, but Grace is a close second, I picked up a couple jars of it.

We've had a pack of country style ribs in the freezer forever. I saw the sell by label and they were almost a year old. It was a perfect time to make some jerk pork on the egg.

I made some peas and rice to go with it. The authentic recipe uses pigeon peas, but I haven't found any here yet. The alternative are kidney beans. I've made a simplified recipe for my 10in DO. Don't remember if I posted it here already.. I'll go ahead and post it again:

1 can of Pigeon peas
1 can of coconut milk
1/2 cup of water
2 cups of rice

I put it all into the 10in oven for about 45-60min. I put the standard 7 coals underneath 13 on top.

60455_1614886255167_1326651636_31686671_7415744_n.jpg

60235_1614886375170_1326651636_31686672_3848006_n.jpg

Comments

• fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    I've gotta try the peas and rice. Looks great!

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    Are those "country style" ribs?? They sure look good.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Looks tasty!! Have you tried the Asian market on Powers east of Galley? If you can't find dem peas there I know of a few other stores around town. Email me if you need too.
    Good to see you 'round!! :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    That looks great and love the rice recipe! Thanks. Is that a brickett on the bench there? :pinch: :P
  • Tripmaker
    Options
    There is a good receipe for a jerk marinade in the BBQ Bible (available in bookstores). I have made it several times and it turns out great. You can vary the heat by the number of Scotch Bonet peppers you put in. I've used it on pork loins. Good way to feed a bunch of people on the cheap.