Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rubb Recipe for Butts

thechief96
thechief96 Posts: 1,908
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to be doing a couple of butts this weekend and I'm interested in finding out what you think is the best rub for these, do you perfer a pre-made rub or a home made one.
Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney

Comments

• ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    I initially tried making my own but I became lazy and now I use Bad Byron's. I should try making my own again but I have a lot going on right now.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Been usin' this for years. No mustard, just the rub. Great flavor, great bark. Cheap, Easy, Fast. And free shipping! hahaha

1 tablespoon each...
    salt
    sugar
    brown sugar
    ground cumin
    chili powder
    cracked black pepper
    paprika

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Dave,

I have 3 go to rubs that I order. I used to make my own but I don't have the time and what time I have, I would rather use cooking. The original or #2 from TexasBBQRub.com or Guy's BBQ Rub from Guy's meat store in Houston, Texas. My sister gave me some when she lived there and I have since ordered it a number of times. I use the Guy's and Texas Original more for the Butts and TexasBBQ #2 for Brisket though I used it once on a butt and it was good.

The links are below.

http://www.texasbbqrub.com/shopping.html

http://www.guysseasoning.com/

Hope these help.

SS

Smokin'Stogies in Exton, Pa with my wife and our four dogs; Sully and Boo the Newfoundlands, Murphy the Irish Setter and Alli the Beagle/Lab mix. 

Eggers Prayer-

Our egg, which art in sizes, hallowed be thy smoke, thy will be grilled, at home as it is at eggfest. Give us this clay our daily brisket and forgive us our rubs, as we forgive those who gas grill against us, and lead us not to flashback but deliver us from overnighters. For thine is the grill, the smoke, the egg. Let's eat!

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust Coarse is just the thing.

However, a basic rub is really easy to put together, and can usually be done with ingredients most people have on hand. Good to know how for when you run out of the prepared blends.

1/2 C. sugar (not powdered, and preferably not white)
    1/2 C. salt (not iodized)
    2 Tbl onion powder
    2 Tbl garlic granules
    1 Tbl black pepper
    2 tsp cayenne

That will do.

Some rubs, especially for pork, have a bit more sugar.

From there, you can add any number of things, mustard, allspice, ginger, paprika, whatever flavors you like. Add standard blends like chili powder, curry powder, garam masala. As long as the base of salt and sugar is there, you will end up with a good bark.
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    gdenby wrote:
    Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust Coarse is just the thing.

I like this too. Great rub. Use it on many things too. I also like the BB Butt Rubb that was mentioned before. Also a good choice. I'm not much for mixing my own. Time is valuable. I leave it to the pros (Nature Boy). I've also used Obie Cues sunshine rub on my butts with great success. Love it on steak too!

Honestly I could throw dirt on my butt and smoke it in my egg and I'd bet it would taste great.
  • We usually use a home made rub, but also like Bad Byron's. Sometimes we use mustard. Looking forward to trying the texasbbqrub, just received some.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • nuff said. This has become my most favorite butt rub. i've used plenty of Dizzy dust and i've made Steven raichlins basic bbq rub and i like this the best.
  • thechief96
    Thanks Aaron
  • thechief96
    Is that white sugar or the "sugar in the raw"?
  • thechief96
    Thank you. I too have used the Texas BBQ rub. I have the one you mentioned as well as their Champion Rub.
  • thechief96
    Thanks. I like the idea of changing it up.
  • thechief96
    That is one of the DP rubs that I don't have. Thanks Andrew.
  • thechief96
    Barry, I have used it and really enjoyed it. was wanting to see if making my own would be easy and tasty. Thanks
  • thechief96
    That is one that has been mentioned several times, unfortnatly I don't have any and I'm not sure if I could get it in time.

Thanks Jimmy
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    White. Never tried raw, but it might be worth a shot. Would have to buy a new box though - pretty sure mine is a brick by now!! :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• For commercial rubs I like both Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust (coarse or regular) and John Henry's Pecan Rub.

My standard go-to home made rub is as follows:

Basic Pig Rub

Fine for almost any swine – rub this into the meat generously the day before you cook it.

Ingredients

4 tablespoon brown or turbinado sugar
    4 tablespoon Smoked Spanish paprika
    2 tablespoon Kosher salt
    2 tablespoon cumin seed, ground
    2 tablespoon chile powder
    2 tablespoon black pepper, fresh cracked
    1 tablespoon sage, ground
    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    1 teaspoon cayenne
    1/2 teaspoon rubbed thyme

Preparation

Combine all ingredients together and transfer to an air tight container. Makes about 1 cup.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • thechief96
    Thanks for that. Seems like everthing I like. ;)
  • thechief96
    Thanks