Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Five AM Butt Check...Oh Boy

'Q Bruddah'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
edited 6:36AM in EggHead Forum
I came home last night from a meeting about 9:15 and cleaned out my egg for a low and slow. A little mesquite on the bottom with some hickory mixed in and topped off with RO. I had it lit by 9:30, in the dark and it was still a young 225° at ten when I put a couple of bone-in butts on. I "guessed" from experience that I was set for 250° but that the fire just had not come up yet.

It is now 5 AM, the egg is "chuggin' and gurglin'" happily at 250° and the meat is 181°. I am drinking a cup of coffee and there is the smell of smoke in the 'hood. I am a happy man. This is my third butt cook and the smoothest to date. I still run without draft control. Experience is a good thing.

So, rather than a post by a nervous newbie in trouble with some aspect of an all nighter this is a post by a satisfied owner of the World's Best Smoker having fun just as it should be.

Comments

• loco_engrloco_engr Posts: 3,673
    Great news!

Take the day off and celebrate! :woohoo: :silly:
  • 'Q Bruddah'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    loco,
    The celebration will be later today when I take the pulled pork to a potluck picnic where there will be a whole lot of grillin' going on. Many don't know BBQ, all they know is the grill. So, it will be my treat to teach them.
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 18,734
    When did you ever think you would say "Five AM Butt Check...Oh Boy" :ohmy: :whistle:
    Salado TX Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    Taking a smoke to a grill fight eh? I say the odds are in your favor. B) Have a great day. :) Tim
    Thanks for getting me laughing early. You are right, out of context it is pretty funny. "Five AM Pork Shoulder Check...Oh Boy" doesn't have the same ring. I admit the humor didn't even occur to me at 5AM.
    Thanks, Tim, and Good morning to you. Yep, trying to teach them there's a world beyond Weber..
  • Misippi EggerMisippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    I tried a 5 am butt check this morning, but got slapped! :ohmy: :laugh:

Seriously, sounds like you've got things under great control.

Enjoy!