Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new user from up north 'eh'

Options
LDD
LDD Posts: 1,225
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All

First time poster. I picked up an xl egg a couple of months back (We love it). I check forum daily, and have come across some really good info, recipes, pictures,etc... I've struggled at times (especially during the first cooks to get the temp right.

I find getting it to 300-325 or over 500 requires little effort. 350 seems to be my current nemesis.

I'll keep plugging away and adjusting things (amount of charcoal, size of fire, etc...) until I own the egg.. for new...the egg owns me.

I've recently started taking some picture and hope to post them soon.

LDD
context is important :)

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    LDD,

Just what we need around here, another Canuck. :laugh: Where are you? I'm in Caledon ON. You don't need to adjust your lump levels (usually) for a specific temperature, just control with airflow.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• LDD
    Options
    haha.. are there many of canucks on the forum? I'm in our nations capital.

Thanks for the tip.

I think when I started, I wasn't using enough coal. Once I finally used enough coal, I found I wasn't adding very much for subsequent cooks (lesson learned there)

I think the XL is a different beast from the L. With the base being so wide, I think you need to start with a bigger fire (bigger base, bigger fire?) (unless I'm really doing it wrong)
  • Chef Charles
    Options
    LDD,

Welcome to the forum and there are several canucks in our midst including here in the Nation's Capital. I have been egging now for over two years and have two large. Where did you buy your XL?

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    I'm also a Canuck. Just got back on Sunday from up in Southern Ontario. Brought back enough Timmies and maple syrup to keep me going for a while and ate more poutine, fries supreme and my hometown pizza than anyone should in a year, let alone 9 days.

Did get some great golf in at Tarandowah though. It's near my hometown of Aylmer. Golfed with a couple of OPP guys and another good friend. Fun times.

Welcome to the forum. Great info as you've already seen. 350 is a nemesis? I cooked my chicken last night at that temp. No probs. Seems most people have issues getting to 500-800. At least you got that down. The rest will come. Mine is a large though. Never tried an XL, unless it was an XL double double.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    LDD,

Haven't done a roll call in a while but there are at least a couple of dozen.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• LDD
    Options
    Chef Charles wrote:
    LDD,

Welcome to the forum and there are several canucks in our midst including here in the Nation's Capital. I have been egging now for over two years and have two large. Where did you buy your XL?

Tom

Tom,

I bought it from the Fireplace Center on Carling. They were pretty good. "Free delivery and setup" Where do you buy your supplies, coal, etc... from?
  • LDD
    Options
    NC-CDN wrote:
    I'm also a Canuck. Just got back on Sunday from up in Southern Ontario. Brought back enough Timmies and maple syrup to keep me going for a while and ate more poutine, fries supreme and my hometown pizza than anyone should in a year, let alone 9 days.

Did get some great golf in at Tarandowah though. It's near my hometown of Aylmer. Golfed with a couple of OPP guys and another good friend. Fun times.

Welcome to the forum. Great info as you've already seen. 350 is a nemesis? I cooked my chicken last night at that temp. No probs. Seems most people have issues getting to 500-800. At least you got that down. The rest will come. Mine is a large though. Never tried an XL, unless it was an XL double double.

I made some poutine on the egg last night...well assembled it in a pirex dish and put that on the egg while the steaks were resting.

350 is my nemesis... one day I'll conquer it.... but you're right... it'll come. In fact, I'll be trying again tonight when i roast a chicken. wish me luck ;-)
  • Chef Charles
    Options
    LDD,

I bought both of mine from Capital City BBQ on Grenfell, just off of Merivale Road south of Hunt Club. I go there to buy wood chunks and eggcessories. I usually buy my lump from Rona as you can find Maple Leaf all year round.

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• Little Steven
    Options
    Andrew,

XL double double. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Ever notice in the US Tim's don't have XL but they have X-small?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• NC-CDN
    Options
    Poutine on the Egg!!! NICE! What cheese do you use? It's supposed to be cheddar curds right? I never see that down here in NC.

Canadian Tire carries lump up there. It's the Royal Oak made in the US stuff. Good stuff. Wally World just had a sale up there too I think. So my EGG friend told me while I was up there. Saved a few bucks a bag or something.
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Welcome to the forum :) Also a Canadian newbie :laugh:
    Everyone here is very helpful and there is a wealth of info in the search engine.
    Look forward to your pics

Shane
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    i have an XL. to get over 350 takes a bit of time. fill up to top of firebox with lump. light in a couple of places. open the vents. come back in 20-25 minutes, it will be hot. When you are done, close down the vents, and when you open it up next time you will be amazed how much lump is left.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• NC-CDN
    Options
    Steven...Actually I never noticed before. Usually only order a large down here in the norther states. I do notice the size of the cups are different. A large I think was actually larger than the CDN large.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Open your doors and windows we are very hot and muggy down here in Tennessee. :woohoo:
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    That's funny! :laugh:
    Come February, you guys are usually yelling at us the close the damn doors! :laugh:
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    LLD,
    Welcome to the cult. And welcome to the forum!
    If you need any help....this is the place to be!
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    That's true Tim. B) Tim
  • LDD
    Options
    NC-CDN wrote:
    Poutine on the Egg!!! NICE! What cheese do you use? It's supposed to be cheddar curds right? I never see that down here in NC.

Canadian Tire carries lump up there. It's the Royal Oak made in the US stuff. Good stuff. Wally World just had a sale up there too I think. So my EGG friend told me while I was up there. Saved a few bucks a bag or something.

I did use the curds. normally I would use the white cheese curds, but the farmboy only had mixed bags(orange and white)

Thanks for the heads up on the royal oak, I'll give it a shot.
  • LDD
    Options
    thanks for all of the kind welcomes... I'm glad to be here.
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    LDD, I use to make Cheddar cheese in Wisconsin and it is white in color. It was only because they add food coloring to the batch that it is orange in color. We also made Munster (I believe there is no food coloring in Munster it stays white)and Monterey Jack and like I said food coloring. ;) Tim
  • LDD
    Options
    2Fategghead wrote:
    LDD, I use to make Cheddar cheese in Wisconsin and it is white in color. It was only because they add food coloring to the batch that it is orange in color. We also made Munster (I believe there is no food coloring in Munster it stays white)and Monterey Jack and like I said food coloring. ;) Tim

I've sometimes wondered... why do they make it orange? was it just some clever brand management thing?
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Andrew,

I think the Large in the US is our XL and the same til you get to small which is the extra small down there.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON