Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Pork Butt - A tad dry

Options
Denbbq
Denbbq Posts: 84
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did my first butt Sat nite. One of two in package from Costco. Total was 14+ pounds, the one I cooked maybe 6+ Rubbed with DrBBG Big Time Rub Had trouble stabilizing temp so cooked it anywhere from 180 to 270. Alarm went off at 3am and banked fire too much,woke up and temp was 186. Finished cooking but temp got away a bit and last couple of hours were around 270. Took it off at 196 and pulled well with great flavor. It was a little dry for my taste. From what I have read here most would not recommend injecting. Would taking it off at 190 or spritzing after pulling with apple juice help?

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I wouldn't spritz it with juice....but that is really a personal preference. I don't like the taste of apple juice on my pork.

Was your butt boneless? Many from Costco are. A lot of people report that boneless butts cook up a bit more dry than those cooked intact.
  • Denbbq
    Denbbq Posts: 84
    Options
    The butt was boneless, guess I will have to find a source for bone-in here in Denver. I put it in a cooler foiled in a towel for several hours before I pulled it
  • Pepper Monkey BBQ
    Options
    Denbbq,

Hard to troubleshoot completely with the range of temps you had to deal with ... but I will say that I did my first three or four butts using the Costco boneless ones and wasn't overly pleased no matter what I tried. I then went back to the basics, got a bone in butt and did exactly the same thing I did with my very first butt on the egg and there was a considerable difference in taste and moisture level. Jury is out on everything else from rubs to injections to type of smoke used ..... what ever you decide makes your taste buds the most happy, I'd start experimenting with bone in butts!

Joel
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    It doesn't seem to make sense, but the only time I had a butt come out drier than I'd like was when I wasn't able to rest it. Based on my single data point, I'd say the rest should be considered an essential part of the cook...but I might have just been unlucky that time.
  • 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Options
    Are there Sam's clubs in Your area? I have been very pleased with thier meat good selection and prices
  • h20egg
    h20egg Posts: 168
    Options
    I had no idea they grew boneless pigs. All my butts have bones. ;)