Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New XL help

Options
Cactus Doug
Cactus Doug Posts: 341
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My inlaws have just joined the cult. I have questions, I cook on LBGE X2 at home but they bought a XL. From what I an tell it is the new configuration of the XL (taller dome, firebox with expansion joint, notched fire ring). I am going to show up tonight at their house and proceed to smoke two butts. How much lump do I put in for an overnighter? The fire ring is short with notches for the plate setter do I still fill 1/2 way up like my LBGE? I also read on the BGE website that you can use the notched ring on top of the plate setter to create more space between the grid and plate setter, do people out there use this setup? Thanks XL users in advance.

Comments

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    I have the old model with the new firebox, new platesetter, and old firering. :blink:

I fill half way up the fire ring and have plenty left over after an overnighter.

Platesetter on top of the firering

Legs up with a drip pan supported just off the PS with wads of foil or something else

As you know - they will enjoy
  • EggSimon
    EggSimon Posts: 422
    Options
    I´ve cooked overnighters in the XL with lump only in the firebox, not more. The firering was completly empty.

Cook begun @ 10 pm and finished @ 2 pm next day. Was still enough lump in the firebox for suppose another 5 hours.

Just be sure to build a good low & slow fire. That´s the key, imho.
  • tnels
    tnels Posts: 75
    Options
    I have the new XL and also only fill to the top of the firebox for overnight cooks. I follow the Naked Whiz's charcoal layering technique and use a chimney starter. Lit coals go in a 12, 4 and 8 o'clock position. Last weekend, I had the egg going for 20 hours (14 hours around 250) and still had about 1/4-1/3 of the charcoal left.