Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flank Steak - Help!!!!

Options
Bubba's dad
Bubba's dad Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Y'all

I am doing flank steak on the Egg this afternoon and can't find any info on cooking it anywhere. Cooking temp? What is the internal temp when it is done? Should I use wood chips? Plate setter? Please help. Thanks and have a great day!!!!

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Plug it into the search bar at the top left and 100's-1000's of ideas will come up. I have 3 in the freezer, but very little experience with them.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    flank steak is easy....they take marinade like a champ. ...you can go really easy with a bottle of any italian salad dressing...or make your own with some olive oil, balsamic vinager, italian herbs or herbs de provence...kick it up a little with a few drops of hot sauce....for an additional kick through in a shot of bourbon or jack or tequila. ...let it marinade for an hour or longer. ...

grill them direct at 500 degrees for about 8 minutes per side till it hits around 130 in the thickest part ....easy peasy. ...
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    You can almost hear the ci screaming.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Flank steaks are perfect on the egg. I set my food grate high with no plate setter. Dome temperature between 450-500º. Use smoke wood as you might for any other steak. Flanks have good flavor and are pretty tender so a marinade is optional. They do not have to marinate long to pick up flavor. Cook to a similar internal temperature that you normally cook steaks, may be a little lower as carry over on such a thin steak may be more pronounced. I shoot for between 120-125º and let them rest 5 minutes or so. I give them about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes a side depending on how thick they are and then check them, they can always go back on. Slice across the grain, I even go at an angle and get wide fairly thin slices.

Blair

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Real hot real and fast, good sear, it is only 1/2 thick. slice across the grain
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Is that all I have to do to get my egg above 750°? Buy a 1000° thermo?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Dat's it. :laugh:

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Gator Bait
    Options

All Mighty Max, this lowly peasant does not mean to question your perfection in any way but do you really go for 8 minutes a side at 500º? I don't cook any steak that long.

Just curious,

Blair

• Essex County
    Options
    If you really want to impress your guests, flank steak is a great one to do caveman style. Season it with a rub, or just salt, then throw it ON THE COALS! I prefer it medium rare which would be about 3-4 minutes per side. Make sure you have some good tongs for the flip and removal. Don't worry about grit. The coals will drop off when you pick it up.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Coals always stick to mine. Easy enough to remove though. And it IS an attention getter. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Essex County
    Options
    Yeah, you may have to flick a few pieces off but it does draw a crowd. The only thing that works better for this kind of cook is a boneless leg of lamb.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    depends on the thickness of the flank steak....i like mine a little more on the medium side as i find a rare flank steak is just a bit too chewy and stringy. ...

you know, you could be right though, it may be a little less time there. . .i don't sit there and count .. .i just eyeball the time and pull it when its ready. ..
  • Gator Bait
    Options

I'm like you I'm sure and rely on my thermometer, I just thought 8 minutes a side sounded a bit long. You may be getting thicker steaks then I do and ya I do like mine rare to medium rare. I give a 1" thick rib eye, T bone or N.Y. strip about 3 1/2 minutes a side and check it often going back for another 30 seconds or so a side. If they have stopped mooing by then I know they are getting close. :lol:

I donated blood yesterday. I must be getting like you, the head nurse knows me by my first name now. That was my good deed for the day, it's sort of a no brainer. Today I have to get creative for a good deed. ;)

Blair

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    good on you blair for making the donation!!! potentially 3 lives just got saved!!!
  • Gator Bait
    Options

I'm like you and a few others that donates about as often as we can. It gets to be a habit of some sort I guess. So much good can come from so little discomfort it's not a matter of why do it but why not. I'm already for September 29th to do it all over again. I'm diabetic and reward myself, that is the only time I allow myself to indulge in orange juice. LOL, they can take all the blood they want as long as I get my orange juice.

Blair

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    yep, i agree one hundred percent!! every 56 days like clockwork(or 112 days if i do a double red cell donation)!! fidel does platelets so he's in like every 2 weeks!!! ..and like you, i'm also diabetic.. .i used to use it as my excuse to drink a real coca cola .. .but after 5 years of diet coke now, i've lost my taste for real coke (i used to be a coca cola addict). ...so like you, its my excuse to down a couple of OJs and a bag of famous amos choco chip cookies...
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    Marinade in equivalent of Italian Dressing. I generally don't measure things but this seems about right.
    1/4 C Olive oil
    1/4 C Red Wine Vinegar
    1/2 of a lime (juice)
    1 tsp Garlic powder
    1 tsp onion powder
    1/2 tsp oregeno
    1/2 tsp marjoram
    1.5 tsp kosher salt
    fresh ground pepper.

Do that for as long as you can. minimum of 4 hrs.

I cook at 450-500 direct. I generally hot tub mine too. I cook to about 125 at thickest part and let set for 10min andslice against the grain. That is ~med rare.

I do these all the time.

Thats how I do it.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC09845a.jpg

I marinate them too, but regardless of that you need to take note of the grain direction so you will slice against it.

DSC09858a.jpg

I cook mine with the grate in the regular position over a hot fire.

DSC09864a.jpg

I cook mine until they are about 135°, then rest before slicing (against the grain). Start with a thin slice and test the tenderness, if it's really tender make thicker slices.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery