Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

no knead bread

pci
pci Posts: 249
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Do you need an DO for no knead bread on the egg? All the posts I did on a search used a DO

Comments

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    To duplicate a steamed environment found in professional ovens you will need a preheated pot with a tight fitting lid. The dutch oven works great for this because the cast iron holds the heat and won't lose temp when the egg is opened and exposed to outside temps.
    A regular steel pot will lose heat quickly. And you could probably get away with using one for no knead bread but I think you would have a much harder time controlling the cook with less than predictable results.

john
  • I use a enameled cast iron "La Crueset" covered pot. I have several cast iron DOs. I got them at a thrift shop.....very cheap. You'll need to re-season an old pot, but worth the investment. Dave
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    I also use an enameled dutch oven for bread. The first time I made no knead bread was with my regular (non-enameled) dutch oven that I keep well-seasoned.... well, the oil from the seasoning smoked like crazy at the 400+ degrees and worked it's way into the bread in a most unfavorable and unflavorable way. Lesson learned and have used the enameled dutch oven for bread ever since.

john
  • pci
    pci Posts: 249
    Would corning ware work?
  • I've never tried. Heavy pot with a tight lid is the trick. There are no knead bread recipes that cook in the oven or egg without the pot/DO. I lent out my book so I give details. Check recipes Sullivan Street Bakery.
    Dave, in Northern Sierra
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    I have to disagree with the need for a Dutch Oven. I have prepared several No Knead recipes and do not even own a Dutch Oven, although I would like one. My method is to use my Pizza stone preheated to a stabilized 450. Place some corn meal on the stone and lay the dough on the stone then cover with a metal bowl for 30 minutes. If I want a crust with more chew I remove the bowl and cook for 15 more minutes, if I want a softer crust then only 5 minutes.

Here is the link to the dough I have been making recently, it is on page 3 of the article http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/Artisan-Bread-In-Five-Minutes-A-Day.aspx

Here is a photo of one loaf...
    BreadDone.jpg?disposition=download

The dough can also be used for an easy pizza dough or even cinnamon rolls.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.