Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza stone size - small and mini

Options
cookingdude555
cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have really gotten into pizza the last few weeks on the egg. My medium and small eggs have become pizza ovens most of the time. But I only have a medium stone, and they share that one stone. Also, although the great mates work pretty good on the small, I want to try a smaller stone on the small. I have a friend coming over tomorrow, and since he is a tile setter, and has tons of tile saw options, he said he can make some perfect smaller diameter stones from some older stones I dont use anymore.

Here is my question, what size stone do you all think would work on the small when used with the platesetter and green feet (setup like the med/lrg/xl)? I was thinking I would make a 11" diameter stone out of the 16" stone that I dont use anymore. Too big? Go for 10.5" or 10"?

My next question is for the mini. I have another stone and wanted to create one for the mini. Is 8" the recommendation?

I will take some pics of the stone destruction/creation tomorrow morning, but you night owl eggers need to give me your size recommendations! Thanks! :woohoo:

Comments

• highpress
    highpress Posts: 694
    Options
    CD,
    Not sure about mini, but i think most people say don't use anything bigger than a 9" pie pan to go indirect because it blocks to much air.. I would suspect that you wouldn't want your stone bigger than that.

Not sure if you care to try but i've been tempted to put two firebrick splits together to use for a small pizza on the small. I did a calzone the other day on one split and it was perfect. Although i haven't actually checked to see if it would work yet. just a thought, good luck...
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I remember seeing your calzone, it looked really good, I need to make some of that - soon. I have tried some firebrick work, and I am shaping them with a hammer and chisel, so I havent done the best work. I think the cut stone is going to work pretty good. Started a new thread about it so that it shows up good for small owners searching:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=938355&catid=1