Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First packer and stoker cook.

Options
ResQue
ResQue Posts: 1,045
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So last night I started a 14# packer at about 0100hrs. It is the first time I have ever cooked a whole packer. Prior to this I have done a couple of flats. But after reading what everybody had to say about burnt ends, I thought I just had to try it. I rubbed the packer in a Tejas style rub and used hickory and mesquite for smoking. This is also my first stoker cook. Many thanks to GG for helping me set that up. I started so late/early because I had done a pizza cook last night and had to wait for the egg to cool enough for me to empty and clean it so I could reload. I stabilized the dome to 250* and then plugged the stoker in. i got up once to check the status and the stoker has been cruising right along. When I got up this morning I upped the temp to 250* grate to help speed it up. Right now the packer is in the plateau and the point is about 10* hotter than the flat. Is this normal? My plan is to leave it in until the flat reaches 180* and then I'll start checking for tenderness. Once the flat is done, I plan on separating the point, chunk it up, add some more rub, and coat in a sauce, and back onto the egg. Seems that everything is going good. If you have any advice for me, I welcome it. Thanks.

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    I wouldn't know. I only place the temp probe in the flat.

I usually separate the point and flat once the flat reaches 190 or when it passes the fork twist test. Then the point either gets put back on or cubed if there is much fat left. The ones I get, the point needs about another 1/2-1 hour then it gets sauced and cubed.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Interesting... I would think the flat would be at a higher temperature than the point.

Whatever temperature, make sure you cook to fork tender.

When the flat gets done I separate the point and do as you are planning to do.

GG