Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick Slo n' Lo Question

Options
Wahooegger
Wahooegger Posts: 95
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, so I've done my first slo n' lo and it was a a success. I'm left with a huge pile of barely burned lump. Can I reuse the lump that's barely burned for another slo n' lo or is it no longer fit for this purpose? Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Comments

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Wahooegger,[p]It still good for a low and slow or a high and fast. It may just take a little longer to get to your desired temp.[p]Keep em Smokin,
    Jethro

• Central Pork
    Options
    Wahooegger,
    In my opinion the lump is suitable for anything but pizza or other foods with bread......
    Kevin

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,896
    Options
    Wahooegger,
    Perhaps it is a mind set - but lump is good for any kind of cook until it is completely consumed by fire. That is unlike those crappy brickets where you use and then dump the remains. Personally I just keep my eggs full to the bottom of the fire ring all the time. That isn't a waste - you will control their consumption and then snuff the fire to reuse the lump later. I've talked to people before who try to guage how much lump will be used for each kind of cook and then only put in that much - kinda silly in my book - do like I do and keep it full.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Wahooegger
    Options
    Jethro,
    Thanks guys. That's what I needed to know. From this point forward, may my egg never be empty. Have a great weekend.

• yaB
    yaB Posts: 137
    Options
    CentralPork/Kevin,[p]I don't understand why the leftover lump isn't suitable for breads. Can you explain further? Thanks.[p]Bob
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,896
    Options
    yaB,
    hey, I don't either! Lump is re-combustible until it finally becomes total ash. As I said before...see below...I'm amazed when some folks try to measure the exact amount of lump they think will be needed for each type of cook and then come back here and b*tch that their fire went out!!! I want to scream HEY PEOPLE THE UNUSED LUMP WILL BE THERE AT YOUR NEXT COOK!!! Geeeeeez....

[ul][li]fill it and keep it. full ..[/ul]
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • yaB,[p]Leftover lump is just fine for any baking if it is clean. However, if your last cook was direct where a lot of fat, blood, rubs, bastes, sauce and whatever has dripped down on the coals, I wouldn't use it for any type of breads as it will taint your product. [p]Dave

• yaB
    yaB Posts: 137
    Options
    Old Dave,[p]OK, that certainly makes sense. Thanks.[p]Bob
  • Central Pork
    Options
    yaB,
    If the lump had been previously used on a cook without a drip pan on a particularly fatty type of meat, in my opinion it could flavor the bread which I feel is more susceptible to pick up any unwanted flavors than meats or other types of cooks. If the lump had been used earlier for pizza or any other type of cook whereby meat drippings would be little or non-existant I see no reason why it couldnt be re-used on bread.
    CP