Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

deep dish pizza

Options
MDR
MDR Posts: 55
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am thinking of doing a deep dish pizza. Can anyone give me advise on using a CI pan,temp,length,any other helpful hint? Thanks

Margie

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I cooked mine last night in a deep dish pan. But it would be the same concept. Use shortening (crisco) to grease the pan. I cooked it at 450 for 25 minutes turning twice to avoid burning...good luck.
  • MDR
    MDR Posts: 55
    Options
    Thanks that will help
    Margie
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    I do the crust at 450 for 4 min and then put toppings on it seems to give the crust some lift.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
    004-26.jpg
  • Large Marge
    Large Marge Posts: 404
    Options
    yes...baking the crust only for 4min is right on. Here's the link on this site to the deep dish recipe I use.

I've been experimenting with different crusts from pizzamaking.com contributors, there are certainly lots of ways to skin this cat. The basic one I posted above works great on the egg and very easy to do.

If I find a better mix (some are using semolina flour instead of cornmeal, and people are using shortening in the mix (yuk but probably tasty)) I'll post. Having my own pizza day tomorrow- J
  • Abe Froman
    Abe Froman Posts: 95
    Options
    As a chicagoan who eats pizza regularly, I highly reccomend using large marges instructions. I scoffed at the idea I would be using my egg to make pizza, but one day, I decided to try it because I was sick of eating bbq meat. Now, about 40 percent of my cooks are pizza using LM' recipie.
    About 5 people have tried my final product and everyone except for my mother in law loved it. Go figure.
  • Abe Froman
    Abe Froman Posts: 95
    Options
    I'd like to add to my previous post that with this recipie, you'll end up with a authentic chicago resturant quality pizza. A lot of pizzas I see don't even look like a pizza to me. No offense intended to anyone.