Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Butt Question?

Mflyer
Mflyer Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, I have 2 - 6.5lb butts and 1 - 9.0 lb butt I have to cook for Sat. I am going to cook them @ 215 until 195 with the DigiQ. I know I am supposed to put the meat probe in the larger of the 3 butts, but will this process overcook the other 2 smaller butts?!? I have cooked 2 butts before but they were around the same weight. Any thoughts!?!?

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    At 215 they will never get done. Do all butts at 250. The smaller ones will be done sooner.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Unless you are planning on pulling these butts off next Tuesday :( I'd suggest jacking the dome temp up to 250 degrees.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    At 215°, you will never get the butts to 195°! Dome should be 250°. I would put the probe in one of the small butts and pull when they are done. Then, put it in the large one and let it finish.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    hahaha - I type too slowly! :blush:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    I do mine closer to 250, than 215. I would put the probe in the smaller one. why put it in the larger one? Makes no sense to me. When the small one is done you pull the probe and check the others. IF they are undercooked, then you can pull the small one and continue with the others. Why overcook a piece of meat. For those that say you can't open it up before it's done I say foey (sp?). People open left and right to spray with things, sprinkle or whatever. They do it with Butts, they do it with ribs. End result is tasty. IT will be fine. Especially a shoulder.

The larger chunk could even be done at the same time depending on where it was in your EGG.
  • NC-CDN
    LOL. It was answered as I typed. Oh well.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Considering he got the same three answers within 9 minutes ain't that bad at all. B)
  • Mflyer
    Thanks guys for the quick responses! In the past, i've cooked the butts a 215 and even though it took 18 hours they were wonderful! So now I'm kinda confused…go with 250 or stick with what I've done in the past?!?
  • NC-CDN
    I think folks are concerned that your 218F temp is the dome temp, which means your grate temp (where meat is) may be 200 or so. If you are trying to get to a finish temp of 200 it would take forever. Not that it cant be done as you obviously eventually get there.

Most folks hit 250 though and will get the same results in less time.
  • Mflyer
    Gotcha thanks!
  • Hi M. & Welcome
    You will get many different suggestions to choose from on this forum. Since the 3 butts are far apart in weight . I think to do it right you need a remote therm for meat to give you readings while BGE is closed. I suggest cooking @ 250*. You want to open BGE least amount needed as it will dry meat and loose temp the more opened. My personal suggestion is to put probe in smaller butt and close BGE and do not open till small butt hits 195-200,then pull 2 smalls off and place probe in larger butt till it reaches the same 195-200. Hope this helps and post some pic's when you get a chance.
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Mflyer
    2 Butts I did last weekend…18 hour cook! First Pic try so bare with me.
    [img size=150][/img]photo.jpg
  • try preview button when posting photos to check them
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Big Knife
    Big Knife Posts: 35
    Those bones look like they're ready to get up and walk away. Nice cook.