Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Replaced 1st gasket and.....

hizzonerhizzoner Posts: 182
edited 9:22PM in EggHead Forum
I just replaced my 1st gasket. Used a putty knife to get most of the old gasket off, hit it lightly with a palm sander, used a little steel wool and acetone and then sprayed the Egg with some Super 77 prior to application. I think it went well, but....

Once the gasket replacement was complete, it now seems that the lid sets back nearly 1/4" and doesn't seem to seal just quite right.

I'm' thinking that once the old gasket began burning up that maybe the lid moved some and now is misaligned. I'm also thinking that maybe the new gasket will settle a little and make a better seal.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Rolling EggRolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Not sure. I would leave it be for 24 hours till the 77 dried well. Then you can do the dollar bill test and re-align the lid tomorrow. It's easy and theres tons of threads on it.
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,600
    When the new one is toast,....FUGETTABOUTIT!Just cook on the EGG! ;) GAU!!!(gaskets are useless)!!!
  • NotabuttDaveNotabuttDave Posts: 181
    I recenlty cleaned my burnt gaskets to prepare for a new Nomex.

I couldn't wait, and used the Egg for some pork chops (very good, of course).

It seems the Egg works better without the gasket.
  • PhilsGrillPhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Always put on one gasket first, then align the dome and perform the dollar bill test. Once this is tight, then put on the other gasket and align again.
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 18,734
    Ditto what Hoss said....
    Salado TX Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max (I'm good for now).