Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cedar Plank Question

Fornia
Fornia Posts: 451
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've seen a post on cedar shims being used on the Egg.

Just came across this at Wally World and was wondering if one could safely use this cedar for plank cooking?

I think it reads 2" deep. Which seems like a typo...but I'm not real handy. Just can't imagine 2" thick for a linig?

Any help greatly appreciated! If this is a score for some reason, I realize it would be best to change the title and spread the word.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cedar-Delite-Cedar-Closet-Lining/13388529

Comments

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    It;s hard to tell from this!

1) Whats most important it that they are UNTREATRED!!

2)...at least 3/8 to maybe 1/2 inches thick is nice!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • misfit
    misfit Posts: 358
    I think not. Aromatic red cedar is for your closets, not your grill, and for that matter, not for your humidor either. White cedar, yes, and can be found less expensive than that T&G.
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Buy 1x6 white cedar from a lumber yard.
  • you find me a piece of treated cedar, chubby. go ahead, i'll wait ticktockticktock. hahaha

maybe fire retardent treated, but that's at a premium, and we're talking shakes and shingles.

closet lining is going to be UNSEALED aromatic cedar. you wouldn't have finished wood for closet lining, because it wouldn't do its job (providing the aromatic cedar protection0.

that said, although you probably could use the wood for smoking, i wouldn't bother with aromatic cedar. it's a little jacked up in terms of aroma. better to just buy cedar clapboard, shingles, etc.

strange thing is this stuff looks like regular red cedar, not the bright red and yellow cedar that older closets have, with lots of sapwood and very aromatic. i think it's regular cedar being upsold as closet lining.

cedar isn't treated as a rule, no more than maple is likely to be treated.

i'm a fan of not paying williams sonoma 20 bucks for a pair of two-dollar boards, but i wouldn't buy cedar closet lining, there are better and even cheaper alternatives.

buy a board at the lumber yard and chop to length, of a bundle of undercourse shingles for8 bucks. you might not be able to use as much as half of these, but they'll still end up cheaper

undercourse-shingles.jpg
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    As others have said, you don't want closet lining for smoking.
    Use the shakes or go to a lumber yard or big box store and buy a piece of 1x6 western cedar trim lumber [lots of folks build their tables out of it], cut it to length and you are set.

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL