Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What the heck is going on???

Options
sharhamm
sharhamm Posts: 258
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a Mini, Medium and a large. Large was a Xmas Gift, don't use it very often, but when I do it's great. Last cooked on it on July 4. Today I opened it and it full of mold. Now I could see this in Florida but up here in the Northeast? Although it has been very hot and humid. My Medium and Mini are fine. So. what's the story and why is it happening. I surely would hate someone to come in and look at my egg and see mold growing all over.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Sharon,

Even happens in Canada. Just make a fire and it will be gone.
    Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    Hi S.
    I live in HOT & HUMID Florida & deal with this whenever I let one of my BGE's sit for any long period over a couple weeks. Just fire her up and let her get to at least 500 for a while and then she is ready to cook the next day. Eliminates the funky mold smell's etc. Hope this help's. No Worry's you are dealing with porous ceramic.
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Sharon...It is typically drippings and sauces left from the cook that will mold. To be pro-active, leave the egg burning a couple minutes after your cook, give the grid a good scrub with a grill brush. This will greatly reduce the mold build up. The "stuff" burns off in the fire.