Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Basting Sauce

Options
Chef Wil
Chef Wil Posts: 702
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, so i'm sitting here and looking for a really good basting sauce for chicken, ribs, hamburgers, and ribs. Something kinda all purpose. Google hasn't found anything I haven't already tried or heard of. So, I figured I would come here and ask the Eggsperts. I have a rub and sauce that is to my taste, now, do I try and thin my sauce with chicken broth and use this as a basting sauce or start from scratch and make something up. I am looking for something thin, kinda smokey, maybe cumin and chipotle flavors. Whats your favorite basting sauce???

Comments

• Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    Wil, Wil, Wil, Wil, Wil.....How can a simple layperson give one of the greatest chef's she knows advice??? Not possible! I come to YOU for help! We don't do a lot of basting here at the Chicken Ranch. The last thing we did try was basting some chicken with a Jalapeno Jelly but I don't think that would do good on burgers. I'm curious to know what you come up with. Love ya!
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    I use this as a flank steak marinade, but also as a basting sauce for chicken, burgers, left over steak, and more. If you use it as a marinade, be sure to boil what is left after removing the meat. Then save as a basting sauce.
    PattyO

Flank Steak Marinade

2 C cloudy orange French dressing
    1/2 C lemon juice
    3/4 C soy sauce
    1/4 C Worcestershire sauce
    1/4 C yellow mustard
    1 clove crushed garlic or equivalent garlic pd.

Shake well. Cut very shallow X's in steak against the grain.
    Marinate meat overnight in about 1/2 C of this sauce.
    Refrigerate remaining sauce in a glass jar.
    This is a good seasoning on burgers, either in the ground meat or as a BBQ sauce.
    Also good as seasoning on leftover meat sliced thinly and sautéed.
    Good for chicken BBQ too.
  • Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    Hey Ms. Judy, Actually there is a wealth of info on this forum, I am just waiting for responses....LOL
    Im just looking for something to brush on meats for added flavor and to seal the juices in, something light and something that wont burn. Thats why I was wondering if cutting bbq sauce with chicken broth ( equal parts ) would suffice.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I take my favorite BBQ sauce and thin with 15-20% apple cider vinegar and 15-20% apple juice. When in a sweet mood use orange juice instead of the apple juice and when wanting oriental use about 15% soy sauce. HTH.