Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Thermometer

Options
Denbbq
Denbbq Posts: 84
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been cooking on a large for the last 6 months and most everything has turned out well. Probably because I followed the forum's advice to cook to temp and not time and used a thermapen and remote probe. My CWM robs this weekend were way too dry for my taste so I calibrated my thermometer as many have suggested. I was sure it couldn't be that far off - wrong!! 50 degrees off I just couldn't believe BGE would sell such shoddy stuff. Just ordered a teltru

Comments

• NotabuttDave
    NotabuttDave Posts: 181
    Options
    I recently replaced my original thermo with a Teltru. It seems like the egg is much hotter than originally thought. I was having problems getting high temp, but I think it was the egg thermo.

I'm with you, why scrimp on the thermo? I laid out about $1k with the nest and other items, and got a crappy thermo with a spiffy logo.
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    The nice feature of that BGE thermometer is that it can be recalibrated easily. A bad feature of that thermometer is that it can be knocked out of calibration easily. One thing I found was that if the clip for the thermometer is on the inside of the dome (like it is delivered)it can create a snug fit and when you twist the thermometer to get it straight, you adjust the temperature calibration. I pulled the clip off the inside and just set my thermometer in the hole. It does not get out of calibration and if it hits something (like that big turkey at Thanksgiving) it pushes out rather than plunging into the item it hits.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Thr original thermometer on my Lg Egg also went Tango-Uniform after a short time. Replaced it with a Tel-Tru..

http://www.teltru.com/s-43-barbecue.aspx
  • beerguy
    beerguy Posts: 116
    Options
    I have only had my XL BGE for three weeks and I've gone through two BGE thermometers. The first one didn't work right out of the chute and the replacement my dealer gave me is now out of commission. I'm going to try the Tel-Tru and hope it holds up a bit better.
  • Texas Smoker
    Options
    Are y'all using the Tel-Tru that is made for the BGE? I know it sounds like a silly question, but just want to be sure before I order mine. My BGE thermometer is totally out of whack.