Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

700 degrees

Options
hizzoner
hizzoner Posts: 182
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Why can't I get there?

a bunch of bags of Ozark Oak, several bags of Cowboy brand lump and even some B&B (which is crap) and I have never been able to get my dome temp to hit 700. I have no problem getting to 600-650 and maybe I never have a need to go any higher, but, others have and, by God I want to.

Comments

• Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    When I've gotten stuck, I just shoot the hair dryer at the lower vent and the temp soars. Doesn't take too long to get it up.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    If I get all my ducks in row, I can wrap my Tel-tru back around to the 200 reading. B)
  • kolbdriver
    kolbdriver Posts: 403
    Options
    I don't know what size Egg you are using. My large would hit a 1000 degrees on the frist try. Got a small for Christmas 09, could not get it above 400. After much looking and thinking, I finely figured out the draft door was not uncovering all of the opening. Han to grind some of the medal away to get good air flow. Now 850 to 900 is easy on that little bad boy. They gotta breath...
    Hope this helps .
  • Bluedot
    Bluedot Posts: 82
    Options
    I cooked 2 filets and 1 Ribeye this weekend using the t-rex method. Followed the instructions and they came out perfect. I don't think 50 -100 degrees or so makes that big of a difference but I am no expert. Mine turned out great at 650 -700 degrees.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

So you want to learn how to replace gaskets, do you!

If a large you should have no problem getting well above 1000° without using fans etc.

Just remember heat = fuel + oxygen.

Load you lump to the top of the fire ring. Light down into the lump about 1 to 1.5 inches in 5 places. 3, 6, 9, 12 o'clock and center. I would place those spots to light about 60% of the way from the center to the edge of the fire wall.

Make sure you do not have any lump plugging or blocking the holes in the fire grid or the holes in the fire box.

Close the dome about 1 to 2 minutes after all spots are well lit. No DFMT and bottom screen & vent wide open.

Don't leave the egg.

Your wish will come true. Hopefully you won't have to learn the fine art of gasket replacement. :)

GG
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Can't think of anything that cooks at that temperature. Best to remove the firering and put your grid on the firebox with a full load of lump. Your dome will read 400-500 but your steak will cook at 800-1000.
  • Deaneaux
    Deaneaux Posts: 45
    Options
    Repeat of my post earlier tonight:

It could be your thermo. Completely opening up my large egg and letting it roll, using the BGE thermo, rarely read over 650. It was calibrated NUTS on at 210 in boiling water. After dropping in a tel-tru, doing the same drill, my temps have pegged the thermo way past 750.
  • Deaneaux
    Deaneaux Posts: 45
    Options
    EDIT: Accidental double-tap
  • CVDSmokeShack
    Options
    Rich;
    Funny you say that... that happened to me last night! Bent the ole tel-tru right around to 200 deg! I did not want to open her up :)

Chris
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    do you take the daisy off?
    stirring the ash before adding new lump?
    firebox opening aligned with the lower vent door?

if you can hit 650, why the need for 700? just wondering. yeah, would be good to figure out the issue, but remember, the lump is at 1200 or so anyway. just get closer to the lump if you are looking to sear. dome temp is only an indicator of how much 1200 degree lump you have going.
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    Good point about removing the daisy wheel, that really does help IME.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle