Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

sorry i found topics on my issue and will try them

Options
wnbasac
wnbasac Posts: 34
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
hello everyone i'm a new egghead 1 week old
>
i'm having problems raising the heat when i go indirect with a place-setter
>
i put in the coal and it has no problems with the heat climbing to 500 + degrees
>
but when i put the place-setter in the temp drops to 400 degrees and i can't get it to climb?????
>
the slide vent door is wide open as is the top damper but it doesn't climb? i even tried closing the top damper, NOPE?????
>
what am i doing wrong???
>
should i cook the items that require the highest temps 1st and then continue with the other items according to there temp???
>
thanks, left out in the cold without rib-eyes

Comments

• Achate
    Achate Posts: 39
    Options
    What are you cooking that would need indirect over 400+ degrees?
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    I am sorry, even though my pc was on I had family yesterday so was not really here :) this is showing as your first post?? I think that was the case for many :) hope you got it taken care of ok. I to am curious why you are so high a temp indirect? also I put in my stone as soon as I light and know it is going to go ok.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Pizza? Roast chicken? (I think it is Jaques Pepin who does roasted chickens at 500 degrees.) The high temp portion of cooking a prime rib or turkey?
    The Naked Whiz
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Duh my bad :blush: had my head thinking baking, that is where most of my indirects are :)
  • wnbasac
    Options
    A Big thanks to all for your time and help!
    >
    i was trying to bake some bread
    >
    new day with a lot of NEW advice from those with a lot of knowledgeable people so this is what i;m going to do today
    >
    a. clean out the egg and refill with new coal i was using walmarts ( Royal Oak ) but i drove 60 miles to pick up some BBG coal - ummm looks the same??
    >
    b. when i lite her up i'll open the vent, close the lid and remove the metal top till the temp rises
    >
    c. should i put the place setter in when the temp is rising or after it arrives at the proper temp????
    >
    thanks for your help and keep your fingers crossed
    >
    You guy's have a EggFull Day, lou
  • wnbasac
    Options
    A big shout out to Tim for his help a real life saver!!
    >
    its never to late to learn new things, thanks everyone
    >
    Tim you have an e-mail as well and thanks again, lou
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Not a problem Lou. I glad to hear your DO bread cook went well after we got you egg stabilized. I enjoy helping people out if I can. I try to pay it forward so to speak. I leave you with some tips and tricks. Tim

Look these posts over there is a lot of help here. Use this information as a guide not set in stone. Have fun and enjoy your cooks with you family. Don't be afraid to ask for help. Call me if you need me. I'll help you if I can. ;)

Tips, Tricks, and Some Fun Easy Cooks

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=901811&catid=1

smells like the strongest camp fire

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=697621&catid=1

Visual Guide to Vent Settings & Temperatures

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=718915&catid=1
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Hello Lou, congratulations on your new egg and welcome.

There are a lot of good information above. Earlier today Morro Bay Rich posted a link to the no knead bread. That looks pretty interesting. Tim told me that's were you got your egg, those folks are great people as is Tim.

For a while be cautious about taking the egg to high temperatures when cooking. The issue 'may' be with the gaskets, the rest of the egg & parts have no problem with high temperatures.

Remember to cook to food done temperature and not so much to time.

With heat in the egg, if you have problems with getting hot or get stalled most of the time it is a air flow problem. Heat = oxygen + fuel. Use a wiggle rod to clear the air path through the lower vent and up through the fire grate into the lump bed.

When you load or refill your egg with lump, make sure the holes in the fire ring and holes in the firebox are not blocked/plugged.

As Tim mentioned, don't hesitate to ask when you have questions or wonder about something.

GG
  • wnbasac
    Options
    i can't tell you how much i appreciate your support!
    >
    i'm becoming an Egghead and i got a lot to learn
    >
    i already tried some ribs i didn't put enough coal in and the temp started to go south but over all good stuff
    >
    and i did an apple crisp also with a slight taste of smoke, i got to remember about those smoke chips
    >
    today was bread and corn on the cob
    >
    man i'm just having way to much fun
    >
    up next will be rib-eye steaks should i hold off for a bit cause of the high temp???
    >
    and i'm dyeing to do some pulled pork
    >
    thanks again for your help and have a Eggfull Day, thanks lou
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Big Green Egg Artisan Bread All ingredients are weighed for consistent results. Use a good quality kitchen scale for precise measurements. Even the liquid ingredients need to be weighed – do not use fluid ounces. Prepare bread dough 8 to 20 hours before cooking. Steps: Prepare dough, let sit for at least 8 hours, knead bread, rise bread, cook bread, eat bread. **** 15 Ounces of All Purpose Flour ½ Teaspoon of Rapid Rise Yeast 1 ½ Teaspoons of Table Salt 7 Ounces Water (room temperature) 3 Ounces Mild Beer (room temperature) 1 Tablespoon White Vinegar ¼ Cup of Uncooked Rice **** Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. On the scale, use a large measuring cup and weigh water and beer. Stir in vinegar. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Using a rubber spatula, fold mixture together scraping the sides of the bowl. When dough comes together ‐ let it sit for 8 – 20 hours. Use a skillet or pot and line with parchment paper with plenty of excess hanging over the edge. Spray paper with non‐stick spray. Note: this is not what you’ll be cooking your bread in. Sprinkle flour on counter or cutting board, turn dough out and knead dough 15 times. Shape into ball and place on parchment paper. Spray top of dough with non‐stick spray and cover with plastic wrap, set in warm place for 2 hours to rise. Start fire in Big Green Egg – use place setter – flat side down – set grill on edges. Adjust air to get your Big Green Egg to 500 degrees. Place a cast iron Dutch oven on the center of the grate, put cover on Dutch oven and then close Big Green Egg. Dutch oven must preheat for at least for 30 minutes at 500 degrees. When dough has spent 2 hours rising after the kneading process – it’s ready to bake. Take a sharp knife and make a slit (4 inch by ½ inch deep) in the top of the bread and sprinkle top lightly with flour. Open lid to Big Green Egg, remove lid to Dutch oven and toss in ¼ cup of rice in bottom of Dutch oven and distribute evenly. Using parchment as a sling, lift dough by the parchment and carefully set inside Dutch oven on top of rice. Cover Dutch oven and close lid to Big Green Egg. Reduce temperature of Big Green Egg to 425 degrees. Cook dough for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes – remove lid to Dutch oven and then close Big Green Egg to finish baking. Bake for approximately 20 to 30 minutes longer until center of bread registers 210 degrees with instant read thermometer. Using edges of parchment, lift bread out and set on to cooling rack to cool for up to two hours. Most people can only wait about 10 minutes!
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    I havn't done my butt this way but, If you use this as a guide it should get you there. Tim

North Carolina Style Pulled Pork — Elder Ward

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/elder.htm