Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help Save My Butt :) Please

Options
alice in eggland
alice in eggland Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My problem is at the other end of the spectrum...Last night at start-up, my temp. got away from me...I shut it down and got dome temp. stabilized @ 310..meat(8lbs with bone)went on anyway @ 10:30...@ 2:00 dome temp. was 300...now at 6:30, I've got 250 and had to open vents a bit to keep it there...the question...will the early higher temp. shorten cooking time considerably?...have not opened lid yet...have no gadgets/alarms etc...just a digital meat thermometer....any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    Yes the higher temp will shorten cooking times. Go take its temp now and let us what it is.
  • MDR
    MDR Posts: 55
    Options
    I did my first butt's last nite I woke to my temp being 300. So i opened the egg took an internal temp of my meat it was 195 plus. I shut down the egg pulled the butt's & covered with foil. I think they will be good from the little pieces I tried. I hope yours works out. Happy 4th

margie
  • alice in eggland
    Options
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    you will be fine just make sure you follow that thermometer. when your butts get to the right temp foil them and put in a cooler for an hour or so ;)

butts are pretty easy after you have done a few B)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    you should have a good peice of meat once you have rested it ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    You say you have a digital meat thermometer? Is it one thats in the meat now so you can monitor without opening dome? If so tell us what your internal temp is and what time you want to eat and maybe we can help you with what to do to get it there.
  • Rolling Egg
    Options
    Ok. Just seen where you say it's at 199.4 internal. It's done. You need to double wrap in foil and place it in a cooler with a heavy towel over it. It will stay hot for approx 4 hours that way.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Wow..guess it's been a while since I've been on the forum..when did we start cooking butts at 300+??...
  • Rolling Egg
    Options
    They wasn't shooting for 300. The post reads that it got away from them when they first fired it up. No harm. The butt will still be good.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    said. Pull it and allow it to rest for an hour or so.
  • alice in eggland
    Options
    Thanks for that...At 10:30 at night the choice was to cook or not to cook...and with company coming, it was a no brainer to me....here are the results of my first smoke, first butt...IMGP4028-1.jpg
    It's resting right now and I've been researching the forum and know I have to pull it and refrigerate and reheat....THANKS TO ALL THE SUPPORT! It's intimidating..but fun..Happy Fourth!

PS: one final question that will demonstrate my smoking naivete :blink: ...do we eat the bark?
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    Absolutely, the bark is the best part, to me. Nice looking cook there, your guests will be eating good today.
  • BENTE
    Options
    when you pull the butt have a knife handy. i like to cut up some of the bark. mix it in with the rest of your pork..

i like the bark the best ;)

yours looks great

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Rolling Egg
    Options
    I shredd the whole butt up at once bark and all. The only thing I avoid is getting any of whats left of the fat cap in there. Good eats! Great job on your first butt. It looks just like the ones I do ;) Have a happy fourth!
  • alice in eggland
    Options
    Thanks for your help...I couldn't bring myself to put all the bark in there....it is very good though..maybe next time... :) at least there will be a next time!
  • Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    You have a really nice looking butt!! ............ :ohmy: especially for your first butt..
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997