Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shark help

Options
BeerMike
BeerMike Posts: 317
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can anyone give me an idea what temp I should cook shark steaks at and about how long it will take? The steaks are about an inch thick.

Cheers,

BeerMike
I think it's time for another beer!
BGEing since 2003
2 Large BGEs 
Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
Living the dream in Wisconsin

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    135-140 around there. Temp will rise as you plate. I like rarer fish, so personnal preference comes in here.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    350 dome for about 120 minutes a side. check the middle with a fork.

Don't follow the above, unless you like your fish to taste like lump charcoal. It should have read 750 dome for 120 SECS a side.
  • cookn biker
    Options
    really?
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Yep that's the way I do all my grilled fish. Might cut it down to 90 secs a side if its thinner.
  • cookn biker
    Options
    I thought you had a typo, 120?..hahaha
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Thanks for catchin that Molly. It should have read and has been corrected to 750 dome and 120 SECS, then flip for another 120 SECS.

That's what I get for TUI, Typing Under the Influence.
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Options
    OK Mike in Abita- I don't know if you are still on this forum or not but I have some shark steaks in the fridge marinating in a soy sesame sauce and my egg is at about 400 while I have onions and peppers in hobo bags in there.  The come off in about 5 minutes.  I am then going to crank my egg up to 750 and try your method.  I love that the egg gets real hot but I haven't actually COOKED at that high a temp.  I will let you know how it goes.  Hopefully the soy won't burst into flames =)
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    OK Mike in Abita- I don't know if you are still on this forum or not but I have some shark steaks in the fridge marinating in a soy sesame sauce and my egg is at about 400 while I have onions and peppers in hobo bags in there.  The come off in about 5 minutes.  I am then going to crank my egg up to 750 and try your method.  I love that the egg gets real hot but I haven't actually COOKED at that high a temp.  I will let you know how it goes.  Hopefully the soy won't burst into flames =)
    Careful of flashback if you aren't used to cooking at those temps. open that dome SLOWLY (unless you have some unsightly knuckle hair and eyebrows you want to get rid of) :)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • allitnils
    allitnils Posts: 109
    edited July 2012
    Options
    First things: shark should NEVER be eaten raw/rare.

Depends on the shark, but generally their flesh is really flaky and soft.. I imagine it should be grilled at a high  temperature for a short time to stop it from disintegrating/falling apart..
    In Australia shark is the most common fish used in fish and chips, so batter it up and deep fry it and it'll come out delicious. :D

Did you catch the shark or are you buying it from a fish monger?
    If you caught it yourself, there is a specific way of handling it (ie, you need to gut/bleed/clean it thoroughly by leaving the filleted meat in a flowing water bath for a few hours to wash out the urea from the meat..)
    Alternatively, cover the fish with just enough water, and a tablespoon of lemon juice per pound of shark to neutralise the urea in the flesh, and leave overnight.
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Options
    350 dome for about 120 minutes a side. check the middle with a fork.

Don't follow the above, unless you like your fish to taste like lump charcoal. It should have read 750 dome for 120 SECS a side.

=))
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Options
    The high heat for a short time worked great.  I first took the veggies off the grill and then I let the lump go from glowing to flaming and I closed the lid with nothing on the chimney till it read almost 800 degrees.  I put the steaks on (thanks for the advice about flashes- I wore some long gloves) and I cooked them for 90 seconds mostly because they were rather thin- may 3/4 inch (I bought them at the seafood market- I had gone there for salmon steaks but they only had shark steaks so I thought I would try them).  By that time the heat had gotten back up to about 650.  They turned beautifully and were a bit charred- but not too bad.  The second side I cooked for 60 seconds.  That also came out charred.  They looked sort of dried out and ruined on the platter but they were FABULOUS on the inside- very juicy and just the right amount of flake.  I think maybe the soy based marinade I used had enough sugar in it to make them go black with high heat.  Next time I might use citrus (lime?), garlic and olive oil?  With the fish we had the onions and peppers as well as roasted plum tomatoes all made on the EGG.  I also served some rice (made in the countertop rice maker).  The fish disappeared fast!  I am always amazed by how easy it is to cook great things in my big green egg.  Even when I am pretty sure I ruined something- it is delicious!  Makes me look real good!
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs