Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Cleaning

Options
Bubba's dad
Bubba's dad Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just curious how often I should totally clean out my egg vs just scraping out the ash out of the bottom? Thank You from the great Northwest

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Every four cooks will do it. If you need to cook at high temps, clean it out every time.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I clean my small out totally every few cooks, but it has been over 6 months on my large. I just use the ash tool and get the most I can. I never have any problem with holding temps or getting to 6-700deg.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I think I've pulled the guts out of my large twice since I bought it last August. Ash tool only. Now the mini - that's a whole 'nother story.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I never clean mine out. The last time was probably 6 years ago. I just scrape the ash out with the ash tool, making sure to get what I can from either side around the firebox. I never have trouble getting high temps, so I quit cleaning it out long ago.
    The Naked Whiz