Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I need accessories for large

Options
CaCook
CaCook Posts: 68
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need a couple of things

1) I would like a V-rack to cook a few spare ribs full length if possible, any recommendations?

2) I need some thing to increase my grilling area.. I looked at the adjustable rig and adding the ceramic stone is just too much money (for now). And also I already bought the BGE plate setter. Should I get a BGE CI grate and use some firebricks as spacers So I can get 2 tiers out of it? Ideally the 2 tiers should fit even with the plate setter which raises the first grate.

2b) Where do you buy small firebricks like that

Comments

• EggSimon
    EggSimon Posts: 422
    Options
    CaCook wrote:
    I need a couple of things

1) I would like a V-rack to cook a few spare ribs full length if possible, any recommendations?

2) I need some thing to increase my grilling area.. I looked at the adjustable rig and adding the ceramic stone is just too much money (for now). And also I already bought the BGE plate setter. Should I get a BGE CI grate and use some firebricks as spacers So I can get 2 tiers out of it? Ideally the 2 tiers should fit even with the plate setter which raises the first grate.

2b) Where do you buy small firebricks like that

ya can enhance your grill space with additional grids, fire bricks, bolts and nuts... for sure

I did this also first. But if ya will really have the final solution - which means most space, most versatile... there is no other way than the adjus rig.

Imho save the money for all the bricks, bolts... and wait so long, until ya can buy the rig.
    I´m sure, if ya start with the selfmade solutions ya will only be satisfied for a short time, and then ya are again lookin for the adjus rig... So, wait until ya have the money and buy even the definiive solution - the adjus rig.

btw: ya don´t absolute need the stone, if ya have the BGE plate setter.
  • CaCook
    CaCook Posts: 68
    Options
    So the adj. rig go onto the plate setter that is flipped legs up.

That's good news :)
  • EggSimon
    EggSimon Posts: 422
    Options
    CaCook wrote:
    So the adj. rig go onto the plate setter that is flipped legs up.

That's good news :)

yes, ya´re right.

It fits on top of the plate setter, if ya remove the fire ring.

Means: Fire box, plate setter, adjus rig ;)

One thing: The cooking time is a bit limited, cause ya have "only" the firebox for lump. If ya do a extra long low & slow job, there is the spider + stone the better solution. With this set up ya have the fireing in the egg, and ya can add more lump. That´s the only thing.
    All other indirect cooks (also normal low & slow jobs) works well with the above described set up.
    Ya can do also long low & slow jobs in the large with only lump in the firebox, just build a good fire ;)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    1- I have the BGE V-rack, but I think you can find the same rack cheaper. I originally got a cheap rib rack that worked great but was a bear to clean.

2- How much do you need to be able to cook at one time? With my raised grid (and platesetter), I have been able to Cook (4) butts at one time, which I don't need to do often. IMG_2710.jpg
    Lots of folks here use the adjustable rig because it is so damn good and versatile. But it is quality stuff so it ain't cheap. take a look, it is fantastic-
    http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ceramicgrillstore/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54&Itemid=226
    If cost is a concern, build yourself a raised grid for now just to get you started. You can buy everything you need at a hardware store. 18" weber replacement grid, Fire brick splits or (3) carriage bolts and nuts and washers.

good luck and have fun!
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Hi Bob,

I sure like your use of that temp probe holder. B) Whatcha using, a Maverick et-73?

Hey CaCook, do get the adj rig asap... it is really fantastic!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yep. ET-73.
    which reminds me, I need a new one. (the switch is on it's last legs)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    EggSimon, I have pulled my fire ring and placed my plate setter on the fire box but, I can not get my plate setter to sit down on the fire box properly with the legs up. That is my plate setter is to big around the out side but when I do set the plate setter as level as I can and set the adjustable rig on the three legs it would be possible for the AR to move around on the plate setter legs and tip over. There for I don't see a way to do this safely on my egg. Not that I need to just sayin. Tim ;)