Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I have a lump question

Options
ledmond
ledmond Posts: 88
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a fair amount of hickory firewood from small to about 6" in diameter. Wondering if anyone has ever just cut cylinders or disks from logs and used firewood. The only disadvantage I can think of is a small tad of chainsaw bar oil on the wood. Anyone out there ever tried anything like this??? Bark on, bark off???? Moisture content too high??? Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    I think you will have a creosote problem.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I wouldn't advise using wood as the primary fuel. It is terribly inefficient (a full Egg won't burn long) and you will find that the wood will either a) smolder, make volumes of smoke and so much creosote your dual function metal top will be stuck to the Egg, or b) it will burn with a flame and be too hot for anything but the hottest cooking. I don't think there is an in-between. I tried.

Details here -> Ceramic Cooker FAQ
    The Naked Whiz
  • ledmond
    ledmond Posts: 88
    Options
    Thanks Whiz. Been reading and taking your advice for about a year and a half now eventhough we don't know each other. Cooked the greatest turkey ever last Thanksgiving after reviewing your website. Best wishes and thanks for all your posts.
  • Phrettbender
    Options
    It should work well as a flavor/smoke enhancer to the lump you're burning. Like adding any other flavor wood to the cook.
  • Hoosier
    Hoosier Posts: 107
    Options
    This is exactly what I would suggest. We limbed out a couple of maple trees in our yard a few years back and I simply created a ton of smoking wood chunks out of it. I'd cut it up, split it if necessary to make fist-sized chunks, and keep it around for smoking. I'm sure any friends you have that BBQ would love to have some as well