Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggs by the Bay & Eggcessories?

Options
Hillbilly-Hightech
Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, so as of tomorrow, I'm officially done w/ school for a week, and what better way to celebrate than to go to Eggs by the Bay (we actually registered a couple months ago, but I can say we're going as a way to celebrate finishing yet another quarter of school). ;)

Anyway, so who all is coming / gonna be there? I'll be the bald white guy w/ the goatee & the Asian girlfriend (though, in the Bay Area, I'm sure I'm not the only one like that)... heh...

Also, what type of Eggcessories should I get? Currently I have the following:
[ol][li]platesetter[/li]
[li]pizza stone[/li]
[li]pizza peel[/li]
[li]remote thermometer (not teletru, but good enough for me)[/li][/ol]

I've been thinking about some sort of raised grid - which one does everyone recommend?

Anything else?

I can't wait!!! :woohoo:
Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee

Comments

• Vetereggnarian
    Options
    I just started too, and your list seems pretty good. I'd go with that and build on it as you go.

I'm going to get a Weber grid and some U bolts to make my own raised grid at first. A digital instant read and some ThirdHands are on the way.
  • Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    Options
    I'll be there. Yes to all the above. Also, an ash tool would be helpful, maybe down the line a BBQ Guru or Stoker. Some other accessories that are over looked are laytex gloves, foil, starting cubes(if this is your starting method), aluminum pans...etc.

Will you be at the Meet & Greet?
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    I'll be at the Fest and GTG - hope to see/meet lots of people from the forum. Last year, there were several accessories and spices available for purchase, including some raised and/or multi-level grids. If it's the same this year, you'll have the option of looking at some first hand.

Get a Thermapen when you get the chance. Cast Iron grid is nice for quick sears and makes great sear marks.

Should be a great time!
    South SLO County
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    Use Stainless steel carriage bolts. 3/8 diameter. If you can, for washers, use
    3/8x 1 1/2 Fender washers. The Head of the Carriage bolt will sit on the exsisting grid. Then go with a Hex nut, Fender Washer, grid, Fender Washer, and then nut. I used two nuts, Fender Washer, GRid, Fender Washer, and two nuts again. By using two nuts, the bottom nut will prevent the second nut from moving. If you have difficulty getting the hardware, let me know. I am in the Fastener Business.
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

Not sure if I'm going to the Meet & Greet - we live in San Ramon, so it's a drivable distance to San Jose for the Eggfest, but not sure if I wanna drive to the South Bay on Fri night, then drive back, then get up in the morning & drive down again.

Anyway, it should be a lot of fun - do they also have classes and hints/tips, etc, or is it just a "go there & stuff yourself" sort of thing? :sick:
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    There are classes. One will be from 10:30 AM til 11:45 AM and the second will start at 2 PM and run until 3:30 PM.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    10:30 - 11:15am
    Big Green Egg Basics class
    -Your new Egg...
    -Building a fire
    -Control your temps
    -Cooking setups
    -Essential Accessories
    -Smoking Woods

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    Wow, 235 nametags done with only 140 to go!

We've added some great cooks the last few days, they're the guys to watch and learn from while you are walking around. I get so many great ideas talking to Eggheads, what a group of "Foodies" they are.

Bay Area Egg Party in 3 days!

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    Dang Smitty, please tell me you ain't doin them nametags by hand are ya?

Not in Silicon Valley, home of the high tech!! That's what them thar new-fangled computing machines er fer!! hehehe ;)

Oh, and have you done "Rob" and "Leslie's" nametags yet, cuz them are mine!! :laugh:

So aside from the "basics" class at 10:30, is the 2:00 class the same? Are there any classes on how to cook certain things (like beef, pork, chicken, etc)? Or do you just watch & learn from the master BBQ'ers who are doing the cooking?

Anyway, I can't wait!! :woohoo:
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    In general, you just look at what people are cooking and start asking questions. EVERYONE will be glad to have a chance to tell you what they are doing (and probably a lot more than you ever wanted to know). JUST ASK!!! B)