Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket...1st attempt. Help!

Options
Fornia
Fornia Posts: 451
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Planning to try a lo and slo brisket for July 4th....

Where would you recommend I look for information/recipe for a brisket? As an example, I know there's a particular brisket 'cut' to look for...but not which one.

I know it's not for a newb, but I'd like to take the plunge. Everything I've cooked so in a month has been wonderful. Did two 8# butts two weeks ago and they were awesome! I'm feeling confident I'm ready for the next step....all while still learning in the process. I cannot thank the folks on the forum enough...with your help, I've taken my passion for cooking/BBQ and made it reality on the Egg. Had the Egg one month...what took me so long to pull the dang trigger.

Comments

• h20egg
    h20egg Posts: 168
    Options
    Can't say I have much advice, but I did my first brisket Father's Day, and while intimidated by all the warnings about it being a tough cook, it turned out quite well. It was a 4.5 # flat, choice. Did it indirect for about 9 hours at 230. Last two hours it was still not "fork tender" but was concerned about drying, so foiled it for last two hours. Very tender, if I was really critical I might say a tad dry, but sauced was great. I just peppered and salt rubbed, and flavor was excellent. Used a little cherry smoke. So having just lost my brisket virginity I'm no expert, but I wouldn't be too intimidated. Just do it!
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    Hi,

I'm by no means an expert on brisket, but the ones I've done have been pretty good. I've written up several of my cooks with step by step instructions on our blog, here... http://www.fearlesskitchen.com/2009/07/recipe-a-better-brisket-guest-post-from-fearless-grill-.html

That should help you get started. Check out some of the other members' web sites for more ideas.

6a00e5502e1c01883401157148b605970c-800wi

Good luck,

-John
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    Fornia
    Jump in there, you gotta start sometime. There are lots of folks here that know more about briskets than I do, but I'll share what I know.
    Briskets consist of two parts, the flat and the point. a "packer cut" brisket is the flat and the point together, you can also buy the flat only. typically, the flat is sliced and the point is chopped and used for "burnt ends" ( very, very good)I prefer to cook the packer, however for your first one, the flat may be better, since there is less trimming to be done.
    meat selection, in my opinion, is more important with a brisket than with pork butts, start with choice if you can find it, also I like a packer in the 10 lb. range, a flat maybe 6-7 lb.s
    bubba tim has a great site with a lot of brisket info
    http://www.bubbatim.com/
    good luck and have fun
  • Frobozz
    Frobozz Posts: 98
    Options
    Hope this helps. Here's my brisket recipe, which walks you through everything, step by step. I've cooked it many times with great results on both a medium Egg (which can be a little small for a big brisket) and my Weber Smokey Mountain cooker:

http://randylilleston.com/wordpress/?p=247