Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sunday cook! (pic heavy)

Rezen73
Rezen73 Posts: 356
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So today, we decided on quesadillas, and even fired up the old gas grill to assist in the endeavor!

Last night, I seasoned & marinated the skirt steak.

First, I prepped the rub. Here are some peppercorns, coriander seeds, and cumin seeds in my spice grinder:

IMG_2451.jpg

The players: (e.g. What I put in the rub/marinade) Ancho chili powder, chipotle chili powder, cumin, coriander, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, unsweetened cocoa, kosher salt, red wine vinegar, blue agave nectar, and freshly squeezed lime juice.

IMG_2453.jpg

Spice rub complete:

IMG_2454.jpg

Skirt steak completely seasoned and marinating. I did this last night so they would get a nice long bath in the marinade :D
IMG_2457.jpg

Veggies ready for today's cook:

IMG_2458.jpg

Guacamole good to go, just waiting on the roasted poblano & roasted jalapeno pepper!

IMG_2459.jpg

Getting a small fire started to roast the corn & peppers. Notice the BGE grill extender - it fits perfectly on top of the fire box! I used that to cook the skirt steak.

IMG_2460.jpg

Corn, poblanos, jalapenos, serrano, and habaneros read to roast.

IMG_2462.jpg

Corn just about done. I roasted the corn & peppers on a CI grate at normal height, just to make sure they didn't burn.

IMG_2467.jpg

mmmm roasted peppers!

IMG_2468.jpg

Peppers in waiting! Since these are so much smaller I decided to roast them separately.

IMG_2469.jpg

On the grill! :D

IMG_2471.jpg

Steaming so I can remove the skins easier:

IMG_2472.jpg

Added some more coal to bring up the temperature to around 800F (dome temp):

IMG_2473.jpg

Skirt steak after 90 seconds & a flip:

IMG_2474.jpg

Habanero, Roasted Corn & pepper, and black bean salsa:

IMG_2475.jpg

Roasted pepper guacamole :D

IMG_2476.jpg

The skirt steak - fresh off the grill. The flavor was out of bounds! Unbelievable how good it tasted!

IMG_2480.jpg

So while I was roasting the corn, peppers, and grilling the steak, I had the gas grill on preheating the BGE pizza stone on top of the plate setter. I also had a brick wrapped in foil to use as a quesadilla press.

Here's my wife's quesadilla:

IMG_2477.jpg

Assembling my quesadilla:

IMG_2479.jpg

On the grill/pizza stone w/homemade press:

IMG_2482.jpg

LOL @ the tattoo on the tortilla. Even when cooking on the gas grill, BGE reigns supreme! haha

IMG_2483.jpg

After I pulled the quesadilla off the grill:

IMG_2485.jpg

Final plating. :D

IMG_2487.jpg

Comments

• Wow. That truly is exceptional.

I've never made a marinade like that before but it sounds incredible. Any chance you would be willing to share a more detailed recipe?
    Cheers. TT
  • Rezen73
    Rezen73 Posts: 356
    Sure thing, well as best as I can do! haha.

So basically for the marinade, the only ingredients I measured were the unsweetened cocoa powder and the blue agave nectar. 1 tbsp of the cocoa powder, and 2 tbsp of the blue agave nectar. Oh and the lime juice - juice from 2 freshly squeezed limes (1/2 lime on each side of each cut of skirt steak).

Everything else was "eyeballed" like Guy Fieri, haha. But, if I had to guestimate:

2 tbsp ancho chili powder
    1 tbsp chipotle chili powder
    1 tbsp whole cumin seeds
    1 tbsp whole coriander seeds
    1 tsp granulated garlic powder (not salt)
    1 tsp cayenne pepper
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
    a pinch of kosher salt

grind in a spice grinder and adjust any particular spice to taste.

For the liquid:

I used about 2-3 tbsp red wine vinegar, 2 tbsp of blue agave nectar (1/2 tbsp each side for each cut of meat), and freshly squeezed lime juice.

I let marinate overnight. I also used a soft brush to evenly distribute the liquid & spice rub over the meat.
  • Hey Thanks.

I'm quite new to southern cooking so this is new to me. I've never used agave nectar or cocoa outside of a cake. I'm really looking forward to giving this a go!

I just threw on a boring pork shoulder. I tried mixing it up and making a rub with fresh garlic, sage, rosemary etc instead of the usual dizzy pig or pepper-paprika etc etc. It's fun to experiment.
    Cheers,
  • ChargerGuy
    ChargerGuy Posts: 357
    Nice Looking Cook, Love the Tattoo!!!!
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Outstanding, simply outstanding... :)