Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just got my first Egg!

Options
Tmore
Tmore Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife and kids gave me a large BGE for an early Fathers Day present!!! How awesome is that. I think they gave it to me early so I could cook something awesome for Fathers Day, which is okay with me.

I'm wanting to build a table for it and have downloaded the plans. Is it okay to use regular pressure treated lumber to build a table? I figure I'll find some nicer wood later and build a better table but need something quick to get me by for a while.

Comments

• ChargerGuy
    ChargerGuy Posts: 357
    Options
    Not sure about the Pressure treated Lumber but Congrats on the New EGG!!! You are going to love it!
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    Congrats on your new egg. I have seen some pictures of tables built out of pressure teated lumber.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • EGGRPh
    EGGRPh Posts: 180
    Options
    Congrats on becoming a new egger!! You'll love it and will never want any other grill. Happy Father's Day!

Stef in Brunswick, Oh.
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    Tmore,

Congrats on the new Egg. I wouldn't use pressure treated lumber near food. It's not as toxic as it used to be, but it's still full of chemicals. It would probably be OK for the support structure for your table, but I'd at least build the top out of a wood that is naturally weather resistant, such as red cedar, cypress, white oak, etc.

-John
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Congrats!! LOL I love how you said "first Egg" ......
  • Tmore
    Tmore Posts: 6
    Options
    Just found the Table forum....it's good to pay attention once in a while. I see a trip to the lumber yard in my immediate future.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Welcome...be sure and go here if you have not already

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/TableGallery/tables.htm
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Congrats on the egg, learn to post pics. We like pics.

Mike
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    As you have already noted, pressure treated lumber is not a good choice for a table, besides, it is ugly.
    When I got my first egg I picked up a few 16" pavers at Home Depot to get the egg elevated a little, put the feet under it and used it that way for a month or more with no problem. You really don't have to have a table, assuming of course that you don't have a yard full of Labrador retrievers or a lawn service that tends to run into things. Put one of the feet under the hinge and the other two spaced equally around, 12,4, &8,positions, you will be fine until you can get your table built :)
    Congrats ot the new Egg, life as you know it is about to change :woohoo:

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    I likewise love the "first" Egg comment! You are going to fit right in. Never be shy about asking questions. People love to help.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • berrygood
    berrygood Posts: 372
    Options
    Capt. Frank wrote:
    As you have already noted, pressure treated lumber is not a good choice for a table, besides, it is ugly.
    When I got my first egg I picked up a few 16" pavers at Home Depot to get the egg elevated a little, put the feet under it and used it that way for a month or more with no problem. You really don't have to have a table, assuming of course that you don't have a yard full of Labrador retrievers or a lawn service that tends to run into things. Put one of the feet under the hinge and the other two spaced equally around, 12,4, &8,positions, you will be fine until you can get your table built :)
    Congrats ot the new Egg, life as you know it is about to change :woohoo:

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
    I echo Frank's sentiment. To expand, I wouldn't spend a whole lot of time/money on any accessories/tables until you have some experience. Instead, focus on learning to properly use your egg for the first few months.

Truthfully, I wish someone had given me this advice when I started, as I spent a ton of money on things that I will most likely never use.

Good to have you on-board.
  • Cruzr
    Cruzr Posts: 91
    Options
    Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new Egg! As usual, what Fearless said... B) You could always start with PT wood for legs and cross supports, and use the good stuff for the top. Then when you know more what you want you could build a new base, then put your top on it.