Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry aged ribeye results!

Options
Rezen73
Rezen73 Posts: 356
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So, I posted here a few days ago asking for some pointers, and got lots of great information. Next time I decide to dry age some beef, I'll definitely do a primal and longer than 8 days.

Anyway, I'm not disappointed at all in the results! I was honestly a bit scared after reading some of the replies, but it turned out to be hands down the best steak I've ever cooked myself, and second only to a prime rib I ate at Taste of Texas.

Cooked it tonight on the egg @ around 600. 2 minutes then rotate (45 degrees), 2 minutes then flip to a new section of the CI grate, 2 minutes then rotate, 2 minutes then remove to a foil packet. Dropped the egg down to 350 and cooked for 5 more minutes. Pulled off and let it rest open air for 10 minutes before eating. Perfectly medium rare. My mouth is still watering from how good it was :D

Couple of pics:

After applying (only) cracked peppercorns and kosher salt after removing it from the cheese cloth and drip pan:

IMG_2380.jpg

After plating with some steamed asparagus and some steamed sweet corn with garlic & red pepper flakes:

IMG_2382.jpg

Comments

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    T of T - I-10 and Beltway 8?
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    glad to hear that it wasn't too dried out. did you have it covered in towels or something?

anyway, good to see it didn't dry out on you.
    did you get a before/after weight?
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    Very nice looking piece of meat. Whole primals dry aged are something indeed. I'll be doing another the next time a whole primal is cheap.

Doug
  • Rezen73
    Options
    Yeah, I had it wrapped in a cheese cloth, which I changed every 2-3 days.

Didn't think to do a before/after weight, next time I'll try to remember to do that.
  • Rezen73
    Options
    Yep, that's the one! I live in Houston. Love that place. :D
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    leave the cloth off when you dry age. only invites trouble. doesn't provide any "safety" benefit (in fact can encourage bacteria), and it keeps the surface of the meat potentially wet/damp.

you want the meat to form a pellicle quickly, which is inhospitable to bacteria.

the towel actually saved you though, that's why the flesh sides of the steak didn't dry out to much.

but there isn't any reason to use them when you dry age. all you want to lose is water. if the cloth has any color to it, you are wicking proteins along with water. there's no real blood in steak, so what turns a towel pink is the water being wicked out and bringing good stuff along with it. if you forego using towels, you'll be safer, and the only thing you lose will be water
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Ahhhhh, that's great stuff man!!!
    Nice!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Rezen73, looks like a nice bone-in ribeye! Would have like to have seen pics of a slice! But you were probably too hungry to wait. Yum. :)