Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Fillet on Smally

Options
FLbobecu
FLbobecu Posts: 309
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello 'eggers!

Second time using my small (or any BGE for that matter). I have never seared anything at the temps I was cookin' at this evening.

It was my Dad's birthday, and he wanted Fillet. I've never cooked or eaten it because we never had much of anything to grill on. Now that I have a respectable cooker, I was up for it.

I did (and still do) a ton of research on these boards. TRex'ing (I think I got it) and what-not.

So, I did 675* for 3-4 min per side (one was a little larger than the second). Pulled steaks, let rest for about 10 minutes or so. Let egg cool to about 425* and cooked ~3 minutes per side. (roughly medium-rare by temp pen and slightly below MR to my dad)

I didn't know the proper way to get the sear marks, but figured out to rotate 1/4 turn with about 1 minute left (sound right?). (these turned out by accident, believe it or not - the other one didn't have the criss-cross pattern)

Final result:

dscn0152m.jpg

Tips!? Suggestions!? Feel FREE to comment. I'm eager to learn, trust me. :)

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Looks YUMMEE to me!
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    FLbobecu, From the outside I think you did great. When you get around to it post a pic after you cut into the meat as well. :) Just think you get to do it again and again until you pass it on to your children ! ;) Tim
  • FLbobecu
    Options
    2Fategghead wrote:
    FLbobecu, From the outside I think you did great. When you get around to it post a pic after you cut into the meat as well. :) Just think you get to do it again and again until you pass it on to your children ! ;) Tim

I know, shame on me for not getting an interior picture. Once I cut it open, I just HAD to taste it, and it was sooo good I forgot pictures.. I'm usually on the ball, but not this time! :(
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Hey man when you have the worlds best steak sitting in front of you taking a picture of it after you cut into it is the last thing on your mind. :)
  • Rezen73
    Rezen73 Posts: 356
    Options
    When I cook small cuts of meat like that, once the sear is done, close ALL the vents and burp the egg, then close and let the meat rest in the egg. Time depends on how big the cut is, and how "well" or "rare" you want it.

Last weekend I made what I call "lava rocks", which is basically sirloin (or boneless beef short ribs) cut into small bite-size chunks (maybe 1.5"x1.5" - think "kabob" style) and marinated in my volcanic fire marinade ;) (Dave's ghost pepper sauce, Dave's insanity flakes, Blair's ground habanero rub, a wee bit of red wine vinegar, kosher salt, etc) ... this stuff is HOT. The idea is not to add much of a "flavor" changer as much as increase the heat intensity, which amazingly is overshadowed by the smoke! So while the lava rocks are coming to room temperature, soak a nice chunk of wood chips (apple of hickory), and get the BGE up to at least 700 degrees. Brush the cast iron grate with a wee bit of vegetable oil, or if you wanna show off to your friends... a slice of bacon! ;) Drop the lava rocks on the grate, and close lid. Cook for 2 minutes. At this point, remove the entire cooking grate and sprinkle the soaked & drained woodchips onto the hot coals. Replace the grate, flip the lava rocks over, close the vents and close the lid. Cook another 3 minutes. During this 3 minutes, if you soaked the wood chips long enough and the BGE was high enough temperature, you should see smoke BILLOWING out of the top even though it's completely closed. After 3 minutes is up, pull off and rest for 5-10 minutes in an aluminum foil pillow/tent. Trust me... you eat one of these, and you'll have a party in your mouth. You eat two, and you'll be wishing you didn't. You eat three, and your bowels and toilet will be wishing you didn't. You eat four... well, don't say I didn't warn ya ;) They are juicy and smokey and SUPER SPICEY :)
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    You know something with out a instant read thermometer even after hundreds of cooks I still have trouble judging when a stake is done to such and such doness. Most times I end up cutting a slit in the center to look there by cheating!! :laugh: Yours look great. Make sure your grill surface its self is really preheated to get the marks on your stakes.
  • FLbobecu
    Options
    Rezen73 wrote:
    When I cook small cuts of meat like that, once the sear is done, close ALL the vents and burp the egg, then close and let the meat rest in the egg. Time depends on how big the cut is, and how "well" or "rare" you want it.

Last weekend I made what I call "lava rocks", which is basically sirloin (or boneless beef short ribs) cut into small bite-size chunks (maybe 1.5"x1.5" - think "kabob" style) and marinated in my volcanic fire marinade ;) (Dave's ghost pepper sauce, Dave's insanity flakes, Blair's ground habanero rub, a wee bit of red wine vinegar, kosher salt, etc) ... this stuff is HOT. The idea is not to add much of a "flavor" changer as much as increase the heat intensity, which amazingly is overshadowed by the smoke! So while the lava rocks are coming to room temperature, soak a nice chunk of wood chips (apple of hickory), and get the BGE up to at least 700 degrees. Brush the cast iron grate with a wee bit of vegetable oil, or if you wanna show off to your friends... a slice of bacon! ;) Drop the lava rocks on the grate, and close lid. Cook for 2 minutes. At this point, remove the entire cooking grate and sprinkle the soaked & drained woodchips onto the hot coals. Replace the grate, flip the lava rocks over, close the vents and close the lid. Cook another 3 minutes. During this 3 minutes, if you soaked the wood chips long enough and the BGE was high enough temperature, you should see smoke BILLOWING out of the top even though it's completely closed. After 3 minutes is up, pull off and rest for 5-10 minutes in an aluminum foil pillow/tent. Trust me... you eat one of these, and you'll have a party in your mouth. You eat two, and you'll be wishing you didn't. You eat three, and your bowels and toilet will be wishing you didn't. You eat four... well, don't say I didn't warn ya ;) They are juicy and smokey and SUPER SPICEY :)

Thanks! Sounds good too! I'm too familiar with Blair. And I can handle most anything he has, no problem. In fact I have two Habanero's growing in the backyard, for when I cook burgers. Sometimes I like to chop two of 'em up, sear on the grill and top the burger with some fresh heat. mmmmm :laugh:
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    Looks great! Love the T-Rex method. When I sear I go a little less time, sometimes just 90 seconds per side, and then in the roasting stage I go 3 or 4 minutes.

It was a really eye opening experience to be able to beat most restaurants cooking at home on my egg with a $6 choice grade NY Strip from Sam's club or Costco. I might, emphasize might have a better steak at a high end steakhouse like Del Frisco's in Dallas, but I will have to pay at least $30 just for the steak, and the meal will likely cost $50 (not including drinks).
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.