Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Abt direct?

Options
Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Plan on doing more ABT's, usually do them around 375 indirect.

For those of you doing them direct (Raised Grid) at what temp and do you get much smoke from the bacon grease dripping on the hot lump???

Thanks,
Bordello

Comments

• Big Green Andy
    Options
    I have tried them direct at about 325 ish...did not like the results. Bottom of the bacon burns before pepper is cooked. Indirect is the way to go if you ask me.
  • Bordello
    Options
    Thanks, did you have them on a raised grid???

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    I usually have them on a raised grid w/ a drip pan underneath.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Bordello
    Options
    Another vote for indirect, thanks for your input.

Regards,
    Bordello
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I don't do them much Bob. Sorry :(

I pray you are hanging in there my friend. ;)
  • Eggscriber
    Eggscriber Posts: 276
    Options
    Raised grid, indirect, with a generous drip pan to catch the uhhh....drippings. :lol:
  • Bordello
    Options
    Thanks,
    Doing fine for right now, trying hard. Pretty bad when they took me out of detox and stuck me in the hospital for 5 days, even then I told em I was going to sign myself out AMA so they let me go.

I'm a tough old bird, like a weed.

Thanks for the thoughts,
    Bordello
  • Bordello
    Options
    Hmmmm,
    Where are all the direct people I used to see??? I was always worried about the bacon grease smoke.

Thanks for you input also.

Regards,
    Bordello
  • Rezen73
    Rezen73 Posts: 356
    Options
    The trick to doing them direct is "semi" pre-cooking the bacon so most of the fat renders off before you put them on the grill. The same goes for bacon wrapped shrimp embrochette.

What I've done is nuke a thick slice of bacon in the microwave oven for about 1-1.5 minutes, just enough for it to soften and a lot of the bacon fat has rendered off.

Then you can wrap the bacon around whatever it is you want to cook, and worry much less about flareups.

The other trick with cooking ABT's direct is to use a cast iron grate. Make sure it's nice a preheated before hand... pop the ABT's on there (after "semi" pre-cooking the bacon) and they will sear up and cook everything inside in no time.

Indirect they take like 40-50 minutes. Last weekend I did a couple direct and they only took like 10 minutes total. Totally different flavor dynamic, and both are excellent! I think I prefer the direct method though because the bacon gets crispier and the peppers get crispier too (because of the residual rendered bacon fat raises the surface temperature of the jalapeno much faster).

I also experimented last weekend (on memorial day) with a stuffed PabJalaSerrano. Think turducken, but with a serrano stuffed inside a jalapeno stuffed inside a poblano, and each of them stuffed with other stuff. Said other stuffing was extra sharp cheddar cheese and ground italian sausage. :D That was really interesting. I'll change it up a wee bit next time I do it, but rest assured, my taste buds were extremely happy :D
  • Bordello
    Options
    Dang,
    Yer really working at it, good for you. I have Oscar Mayer bacon so it's pretty thin, not sure if the pre nuking thing would be good with that or not. Do you let the bacon cool before wrapping the peppers???

Thanks for the info,
    Bordello
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    nuke it for 30-40 seconds and you will be ok....

I always precook, even indirect becasue I like the bacon extra crispy, and my peppers still to have some snap to them....

I've only done abt's direct when doing one or two to go with some chicken or something, so I kind of mickey mouse them, moving them around to cool spots etc...
  • Bordello
    Options
    Where's there's a will there's a way. Glad it's working for ya. Guess i'll stick with indirect as it's been working for me.

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    i did some direct last week with fantastic results. temps were near 400 degrees and i tried to do minimal turning...

e0e1eaab.jpg

1fd9a3e1.jpg

3181a6d1.jpg

ce995fa3.jpg

probably my best looking abt's...

stuffed witih 50/50 pork/beef and cream cheese. bacon was thick-ish (not thin for sure).

i waited until the coals were white hot and i got very little flame-up from the coals. i *did* move them around a bit, but only flipped them maybe three times. grid was not even raised.
  • Bordello
    Options
    Thanks for the input, glad it worked out so well for you. The bacon grease smoke is my worry.

Thanks,
    Bordello