Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

? re beer butt chicken cook

Options
queensgrt
queensgrt Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I’m going to try a beer butt chicken on the large BGE using a new pan. It’s ceramic and looks like a large pound cake pan. The “hole” in the middle is closed so you can put in liquids, etc. My question is: does using this pan mean I’m cooking indirect or should I still use platesetter? Any suggestions about time/temp or anything else welcome.

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    queensgt,

Pretty sure I have the same 'pan'. I've used it indirect and put the little green feet under it (between the platesetter and pan) filled the perimeter with veggies and shazam!

Since the egg, I drink the beers vs. cookin'em. moistures not an issue.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    You can just just the pan directly on the grid at regular level, or on the setter(legs up), pretty hard to screw it up.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Especially if you haven't had the Egg long I would use the platesetter. More forgiving. The only problem with direct is anything that touches the bottom will have a tendency to burn if it is at regular grill level.