Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mini green pizza machine

Hungry Celeste
Hungry Celeste Posts: 534
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Spent Memorial Day weekend slinging pizzas on my Mini. Used one stone atop the grid, a spiral coil of aluminum foil on top of that, then a second stone. Pretty darn good results; cooked 4 pizzas and had enough heat & coals left over to cook quite a few more.
p5290286.jpg
p5290290.jpg

Comments

• FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Mmmmmm Looks good.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Thanks for posting this and more details on your blog!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • berrygood
    berrygood Posts: 372
    Nice crust, Celeste. Where did you get the stone, BTW?
  • FLbobecu
    FLbobecu Posts: 309
    That looks gooood! :)
  • Bought the stones on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Old-Stone-Oven-4444-Stones/dp/B0000E1FDC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1275404258&sr=8-1, found them thanks to someone else's link on this forum. Crust was pizza variation 9,945...I make it a little differently every time, mostly by varying the flour (00, bread, part wholewheat, part semolina, high-gluten, King Arthur's italian style, etc) or fermentation times.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Great photos and I agree about the mini. At the Ocala Eggfest in '09 Mint Tulip and I cooked 15+ pizzas on the mini and small. It was fun until Mint Tulip got tired of rolling dough balls...LOL...
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Well the poor thing... :huh: :( you keep giving her all the dirty work and you stand there with your peel smiling :whistle:
  • Sorry about wrecking the love-in but I think your dough needs more moisture. It shouldn't come out like bread (like yours does).

Besides that, looks pretty good. It must be difficult making pizza on the mini. Cheers.
  • Mainegg
    I love your crust! I like a thicker dough and not the thin crisp flat cracker type that many do like. the nice thing with Pizza crust and anything else we all make on the egg is that we can do it how we like ;) not how someone else thinks is "correct". tomatoes tomaahtoes :whistle:
  • Hmm, "shouldn't come out like" is a rather absolutist statement, no? The world is full of pizza styles, and full of people who appreciate the various styles (kinda like low-n-slow BBQ, now that I think about it). Even in Italy, you'll find huge variations in thickness, snap, crunch, shape, amount of puff. The quality you perceive as "breadiness" is what I term a properly puffed edge, and in the dough in question, it's almost certainly due to the bit of sugar I added rather than any deficiencies in hydration. As for the hydration, it's an unkneaded, 60% dough; sure, you can go wetter, but the 00 flour yields a tender, elastic texture...going wetter makes it impossible to shape.

Below is a pizza I bought on the street in Naples in February, from one of the oldest pizzerias in Spaccanapoli; soft enough to fold, with a distinctly puffy edge. Note the blackened patches; my favorite part about pizza in Naples is the scorching...
    p2170155.jpg
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    :ohmy: :blink: :woohoo: :lol: :silly: :);)
  • Mainegg
    Some of us are on to you Kim B) Now I understand why she was so excited to be out at the after party.... you keep her doing all your prep work!!
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Celeste, now you've gone and made me hungry. Nice looking pizza.......beautiful pics! You're discussion of Neopolitan pizza has me salivating.
  • I totally agree. I was being a bit Tweev-o-centric I suppose. :)

I prefer the more traditional style of large air holes rather than the bread-like types.

Regardless, the best pizza is the one YOU like. I meant no offence :)
  • In case anyone's still interested in pizza, I dug up another interesting photo: this time, it's the same Jim Lahey, no-knead, 2-hour, 60% hydration dough I used to make the crust in the previous photo post...only the pizza pictured in this post was made with bread flour and baked in a sheet pan in the oven. It's cracker-thin, crisp, and completely & utterly different than the previously pictured pizza, made with highly extracted, medium protein flour, cooked on a stone in an Egg at 650 (pictured in the post above). Isn't pizza fun?

p3050024.jpg
  • Mainegg
    :P Looks great!
  • mrdnks
    mrdnks Posts: 67
    Love cooking pizza on the mini!
    I will have to try the double stone setup.
    I take the mini camping and always eat like a king!