Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SLOW cooking Pulled Pork

Options
Eggin-smurff
Eggin-smurff Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi folks and Happy Memorial Day,

I've done pulled pork many times over the years but this weekends cook completely baffles me!!!

I did everything as I normally do, started with a clean egg, filled with a fresh bag of just opened BGE lump, hickory chunks for smoke, platesetter legs up, drip pan on that filled with apple juice, grid with two 8lb. shoulders preped with mustard and rub, BBQ Guru set to 225 grid and shows 250 dome and it's been rock solid.

The problems is, I put the meat on at 4:30pm yesterday and the meat is only up to 185. Almost 21 hours now!!! In the past, I've pulled the meat at 200 at around 15~16 hours. I've double checked the meat temp with my Thermopen to insure it not a faulty guru reading.

What's different this time? The only thing I can think of is that these shoulders were frozen but completely thawed before going on the egg.

Hmmmm

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Where are you located? Murphy's spent some time around here today!! 8 - )
  • Fornia
    Fornia Posts: 451
    Options
    I'm doing the same thing right now...for the very first time. The only thing I did different was I injected.

I have (2) roughly 7.25# butts in there on 250...it's now been almost 15 hours and the internal is stuck on 188.

I know there is a 'stall' with temp, but I thought that was around 180.

I'm sure there is no 'given'...but there has to be some window. We're learning!