Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

yesterday cookout

PWise
PWise Posts: 1,173
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I kept making tests about the best way to cook the "lip-on" portion of the "lip-on ribeye"... yesterday was a 50 hour 132.8 °F sous-vide cook with an 800°F 30 second per side sear... these were the results: plastic-fork-tender...
beef1-1.jpg

cheers

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    While I would certainly eat that and undoubtedly enjoy it, I am curious (and admittedly ignorant) about the sous vide process.

This hunk of meat was in the "danger zone" of 40-140* for 50 hours. How is this safe for consumption? I know it is becoming more mainstream to cook in this manner and I would really like to try something like this piece of beef. Can you educate me on the food safety aspect?
  • PWise
    Hey Fidel!

This subject has been the topic of discussion many a time in this forum hehe.. but I'm more than happy to oblige and albeit stating that I am no authority regarding this information, nor chemist or physicist:

First a bulletpoint (and this is a fact):

The 40-140 rule stated by the FDA is meant as a guideline (and a very general one) only...

Althouth there might be many health concerns with sous-vide, the REAL danger with long-time sous-vide low-temp cooking is botulism. Although this sounds farfetched because not many people a year get botulism and die from it, it is real. VERY real... C. Botulinum, the bacteria whose toxin causes botulism, which is potentially fatal, thrive in oxygen deprived environments and can survive in temperatures of up to boiling water at sea level (this is why canning is pressurized)...

Taking this into consideration, proper packing is of utmost importance due to the fact that although the conditions exist for spores to grow into toxin generating bacteria, they cannot grow if they are not present.

There are several ways to "kinda" make sure of this. I personally use 2 ways: a propane torch to "lightly burn" the surface, which is where the spores would be and thus eliminating most of them IF they were present. Or, a very hot good searing before packing.

Of course after this you have to be extra careful with the handling of the meat as to avoid, in a matter of what is possible, re-contamination...

I have found these techniques to work fine and have never had trouble with this...

I am sure there are many others out there more experienced and insightful who could clarify further or correct me if I said something stupid.

You can find so much more and detailed information here

Cheers!
  • Vincent Chase
    Vincent Chase Posts: 149
    PWise, I just want to say that you always have some of my favorite posts, and whenever I see you have started a thread I'm rushing to click on what you have come up with.

While you're here, I was wondering if you could offer any comment on the product SousVideSupreme (SousVideSupreme.com is the website)... I'm a budding foodie and have had two Sous Vide meals: a rabbit loin, which was then wrapped in bacon - awesome!! And most recently, my dad and I splurged and went to Daniel in NYC and I believe the short ribs I had were Sous Vide'd and they were to die for. I love this cooking technique. The price point for the 'real' equipment, like you have, is out of my price point but at $500, that SousVide Supreme looks like something I could do with a little saving.

I know you probably haven't used it but any insight you have would be great. I know another company makes a heating control element (sort of like the Guru/Stoker for Sous Vide) that can be used in a rice cooker or slow cooker for around $150.

I remember you had a post where you Sous Vide'd short ribs for like 45 hours and then seared them off... man that looked so good!! Looked like you had an awesome crust, then just the most gorgeous, uniform pink in the center.
  • PWise
    Hey Vince!

As a matter of fact I have used the SousVideSupreme and works quite well keeping the water temperature uniform and constant. The only setback is the size of the water bath which is "integrated" so you cannot modify... Apart from that I would say it's as efficient as a Julabo or Polyscience immersion circulator.

I wouldn't go for the sous-vide magic (the one for the rice cooker) since rice cookers are not designed for rapid control/recovery of temperature.

The other thing you need to consider is the vacuum packaging. Foodsaver-type vacuum packagers give you a hard time packing liquids unless there´s some freezing or some afterward cleaning involved, also, this type of packing won't accelerate infusion or marinating when done in a bag. Your next best choice when you need this OR texture modification is a chamber vacuum sealer but you don't want to spend what they cost... So might as well go without the machine at all and save a few bucks... you can very much with the same effect use Ziploc bags as explained in the method here.

As for the short-ribs, they also turn out plastic-fork-tender because all the fat and colagen melts while not overcooking the protein itself... just wonderful wonderful stuff hehehe...

Plus, you could easily reproduce the rabbit loin with a little bit of Activa RM and your sous-vide kit set up and running...

Hope this helps!
    cheers!
  • Vincent Chase
    Vincent Chase Posts: 149
    Awesome info, and thank you for the link. I have some reading to do.

I was at the book store recently, and Thomas Keller's book on Sous Vide cooking was unwrapped out of the cellophane. It was just works of art, and that's from a visual stand point. I can only imagine that possibilities of taste and texture with this sort of cooking.

Thanks again for taking the time to write, and I look forward to seeing what you come up with next! Have a great weekend
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Really an interesting read. Thanks for sharing. People should be aware that although in today's food processing world, it is difficult to get food pathogens that will even make you sick, there are some stupid things you can do to make it more possible. The USDA is trying to set guidelines that will keep people from doing stupid things but there is no 100% guarantee that if you follow the guidelines you won't get sick or that if you don't follow the guidelines you will get sick. It's just not that simple. As you stated, if you're smart about what you're doing, it will be ok.

Gosh that looks good! I am proud to have you as my cuz. LOL
  • PWise
    Do keep us posted about what you decide and your cooks...

Cheers!
  • PWise
    Hey Cuz!!

Right back at ya!

Hope to be able to see you this year in Octoberfest...

Cheers!