Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

When are spare ribs done?

skihornskihorn Posts: 600
edited 7:38PM in EggHead Forum
Although I have a fair amount of experience with baby backs, today is my stab at spares. I am using Car Wash Mike's recipe (which I know specifies babybacks). Cooking at 210 for three hours and then bumping to 250. About how long should it take? For babybacks last time I went about 5.5 hours. Are spares going to take longer since they are bigger? What is the best way to tell if they are done? I've got a Thermopen, but I know it is hard to get an accurate read on ribs.

Thanks in advance!

Freddie
League City, TX

Comments

• Car Wash MikeCar Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    The bend test. Pick up and if they bend about 90 degress (not all the way) they are done.

Mike
  • skihornskihorn Posts: 600
    From the expert himself - Thanks Mike!

I know your recipe says you do almost exclusively babybacks but do you have a feel for how much longer (if any) spares will take as opposed to babybacks?

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Car Wash MikeCar Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Easy on the expert.
    Hour to hour and 1/2

Mike
  • Capt FrankCapt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Mike is absolutely right "the bend test", spares will take an hour or two longer than BBs, because they are a little tougher cut, when they pull away from the bone is also a check for doneness. :)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • skihornskihorn Posts: 600
    Thanks! May be a late dinner tonight. I just misted them and they look great.

Freddie
  • SqueezeSqueeze Posts: 707
    I consider them done when I blow the end bone out and it stays on the grill clean.....
  • Capt FrankCapt Frank Posts: 2,578
    That's the best test I've ever heard! :laugh: :laugh:

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • "blow the end bone out".

Can I get a translation from "'Q-speak" to English on that one? ;)