Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Indirect Cooking

Siltz
Siltz Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When cooking with indirect heat do you use your pizza stone as a grid holder? I've been turning mine upside done and putting the grid on the legs and then using my v-rack and drib pan on the grid. Am I doing this correctly? I don't seem to be getting a very good bark on my pork shoulders.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Pizza stone? I assume you mean the plate setter, since it has legs and a pizza stone doesn't. Hope you're not doing pizzas on the plate setter!

For butts, I don't use a rack. PS, legs up, drip pan on the PS, grid on the PS legs, then the butt on the grid.

Actually, I don't use a rack for anything. Unless I were doing multiple slabs of ribs - just so they'd all fit. Oh, and I did use it for a packer brisket which was too long to fit laying flat, but was fine after I curled it over the rack.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    just like Carolina Q stated, plate setter down, legs up, grate on legs, and drip pan in plate setter, if you do pizzas make sure you have a baking stone! u can use the vrack, i use mine for ribs and have done prok butts on them as well B)
  • I have yet to use a rack for anything (not to say it doesn’t work. I just don’t have one), but indirect does mean just that! Indirect!!!
    Indirect means that there is a barrier (a heat shield of any sort) between the fire and the cook! That is as simple as it gets!
    What ever the barrier, it is just a barrier!
    I use my plate setter for all my indirect cooks. Sometimes legs up and sometimes legs down, but either way it is a barrier, making for an oven!
    So, if you want to cook with the Egg as an oven, a shield makes all the sense in the world.
    With a plate setter: Legs up, it’s a convection oven because of the hot air flow, up and around.
    Legs down, it’s a “brick oven” because of the heat being directly under the baking surface.
    Hope this helps some :ermm: !