Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

internal temp ?? to pull from egg

Options
rzrrob
rzrrob Posts: 162
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
for Brisket it is 190??? right??

how about a boston butt ???

about 2 hours per pound ?? around 225

Comments

• civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I pull butts at 200 internal temp. Brisket is done when it is tender usually between 185 and 195. Stick a fork into it when it hits 180 internal and twist. If there is little resistance pull it. You will know when it is ready with a fork and don't cook it any longer then necessary. I would certainly pull it before 195 worse case scenario.
  • Chappy
    Chappy Posts: 198
    Options
    Start checking the brisket with a toothpick or stick your thermapen in there at about 190. It should go in with ease. Sometimes I take it to 205 before I pull it. Just depends on the brisket.

With a butt, I usually pull it at 195. I don't really check it for tenderness.
  • boston_stoker
    boston_stoker Posts: 794
    Options
    A Boston butt should be pulled at 195-200. Get the dome to 250 indirect. If you don't have a power draft control like the Stoker, it will be easier to get the Egg to hold this temp. It takes roughly 1.5 to 2 hours per pound. You should read this: http://nakedwhiz.com/elder.htm#cooking.

Brisket should be pulled between 185 and 205, you should judge when based upon how tender it appears. They vary on temp. Read this:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html
  • rzrrob
    rzrrob Posts: 162
    Options
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Brisketprobedirection2.jpg

Brisket is trickier than a Boston Butt, and like was mentioned above, it's a combination of internal temperature and tenderness that you are looking for. A couple of things to add....The direction you probe from makes a difference too.... You are not only looking for tenderness going in, but also when you remove the probe. The thermometer stem works good as does an ice pick.

A butt almost tells you when it's done, and if you overshoot it temperature wise, it's hardly ever a big deal. Wiggle the bone, when it gets loose you are real close.

7c583015.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery