Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

dual butt question

Options
JohnB
JohnB Posts: 183
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We're going to have a pot luck tomorrow with 6:30-ish as the target time for dinner. I have two butts -- a 4.9 lb. and a 3.7 lb. I'm assuming these won't need to cook as long as an 8.6 lb. butt. Basically, I' debating putting them on at 11:00 tonight or tomorrow morning. Any advice would be great.

thanks,

John

Comments

• Tarpon65
    Tarpon65 Posts: 205
    Options
    Usually if you figure 1-1/2 to 2 hours per pound, cooking at 225-250 degrees, you will not be to far off. Most of the time, it seems mine take 2 hours per pound, but the ones on the egg today may only need 1-1/2 and will sit wrapped in foil in a pre-heated cooler for several hours until time to eat. Good luck!
  • Unknown
    Options
    Keep in mind that they are better finished early rather than finished late.

1.5-2 hours per lb.

I've tried cooking at 225 - dome (reading on the egg thermometer) - takes waaay to long - get it to 250 at least. If they are done early, I'm sure you know the drill

Start at 8am - have at 250, should be done by 4ish - and gives you a couple hours in case you have a weird butt (har har).

best of luck!
  • JohnB
    Options
    I guess what I'm wondering is should I calculate it at the total weight of the two butts or just the weight of the largest?
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options
    If they aren't touching then individual weights. If they are crammed then total combined weight. You are probably looking at a 7.5-10 hour cook. But remember you should rest them for about two hours before pulling. The advice I give was passed on to me by the veterans of this forum.
  • boston_stoker
    boston_stoker Posts: 794
    Options
    As long as they are not touching, you calculate as two pieces of meat. If they are smashed together, they will more or less cook like one combined piece of meat.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Even if they are touching they won't be long. They do shrink during the cooking process.. The time difference under these conditions is negligible..
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    See my response to Jägermeíster Simply not true.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Never, ever cook to time. Cook to temp.

However, having said that plan the cook to exceed the greater weight and start checking the temp based on the lower weight.. 1.5 hours per pound should do it

You want to give yourself a couple hours leeway..
  • JohnB
    Options
    OK -- sounds like it should be in the neighborhood of 7-8 hours with the possibility of taking the small off sooner. I'll throw them on around 8 AM and count on getting them off between 4 and 5 PM.

Thanks for all the info!