Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

potato question

Options
Austin Egger
Austin Egger Posts: 256
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I will be cooking on my new egg for the third time this evening. I have decided to make a pork tenderloin and possibly potatoes chunks, approximately 3/4in squares. I have tried to find a good recipe and technique but can't find what I'm looking for. Question is should I chop up the potatoes before I put them on foil for the initial cook or cook them for a while whole before I chop them up? I have a feeling I need to put some oil and seasoning on them at some point, but when? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Unfortunately I only have a little over an hour before I start them so I can't do a long prep this time. THX a bunch!

Comments

• maXim
    maXim Posts: 468
    Options
    You can always try this:

Cut your tatters in cube, toss in some Olive Oil and symply sprinkle with whatever rub you have handy. It can even be Salt & pepper, onion & / or garlic powder.

Foiled them up and thats it!
  • Austin Egger
    Options
    That sounds good. What would you recommend for the temp? Direct or indirect? Approximately how long do you think they would take (roughly). Thanks again!
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    I always cut up my potatos in whatever size, add butter and onion, use pepper and lawery salt or a rub. I usually do about 2lbs or so of tators and use about 1/3 stick of butter, wrap in foil and cook for 1hr or so.
  • maXim
    maXim Posts: 468
    Options
    Indirect would be best but direct works too. Just gotta be careful if you go direct cuz the bottom part might burn a little and get crunchy, you know the good stuff :P .

Depending on how much potatoes you have, and how "thick" your pouch is, I'd say 30 to 45 minutes at 350*. Try to have 1 layer of potatoes if you know what I mean, it will cook faster.
  • Austin Egger
    Options
    Sounds good. Thanks!