Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

**PING*** Spring Chicken-OT-Humming Bird Question

Options
Ala-Egg
Ala-Egg Posts: 162
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Spring Chicken,
Noticed you have posted many hummingbird pics and have enjoyed the videos also. I am having trouble with ants coming down the line holding feeder. Any recommendations?? Have heard putting Vasoline on the hook will stop them, that didn't work.
Thanks in advance for the help,
Mark

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I use a small device which serves as a moat between the wire and the feeder. You put water in it plus a drop of soap to break surface tension and that solves the problem. I bought them at a bird store.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ala-Egg
    Options
    Thanks RRP, that is great info, will check into that.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Thanks for enjoying the videos.

I'm certainly not an expert in Hummingbirds and I don't have problems with ants, but RRP is right. The moat is about the only method that works well to stop ants. Here's a picture of one that looks nice.

HummingbirdMoat.jpg

You might even be able to make one yourself but if not, I'm sure your local bird or pet store may have one.

Hummingbirds are fun to watch. Otherwise, they would have called them Hummingboreds.

Spring "Protected By The Umbrella" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,772
    Options
    hummingbirds eat ants
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,772
    Options
    if your in an area with orioles an orange half nailed to a tree attracts them and the hummers come by to eat the fruit flies as well
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ala-Egg
    Options
    Great information!! Thank you all.
  • Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    I use the "moats" too Ron, they work quite well. We had our first "hummer" this year in the first week of April.