Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Cooking Grates

Options
WhackMaster719
WhackMaster719 Posts: 307
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sometime ago before I got the egg and I was doing research I ran across a blog somewhere that was using a cast iron cooking grated sort of designed like the symbol for a Mercedes. It has three quadrants that could be removed or changed with a small griddle... Does anyone know what this product is? Sort of looks like this:

Merc_Symbol.jpg

Comments

• Primeggister1
    Options
    Never heard of it but if you are successful in finding it please forward the information. It sounds like it is what I am looking for aswell. Did you try ceramic grillstore.com?
  • EggMii
    EggMii Posts: 30
    Options
    here's a link to what I think your talking about:
    http://www.cast-iron-grate.com/index.html
  • WhackMaster719
    Options
    That's it! AWESOME! Is anyone else using these? Does a large BGE take the 18.5" or the 22.5"?
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    A large egg uses an 18.5 grid

That is nice but $70 seems kinda pricey and you will probably have to add shipping (maybe I am just cheep) :blink:
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I have one for each of my two Lge's. I love them. They do a terrific job on hi-temp sears and the solid inserts are super for veggies, etc. I use mine for just about all single level cooks. Another thing, putting in wood chips or chunks is a snap. When your fire is hot, grid is hot, and you are ready to go, just lift out a section with the handy little lift tool and toss in your wood, put it back and put on the meat. Easy Peasy! :P
    They are expensive but well made and worth every penny :) !
    Store them in the egg to prevent rust B)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I couldnt agree more Smokey. Get a $10 cast iron skillet or griddle and use the standard grid that comes with the Egg. Cast Iron grids are overrated anyway.
    I normally have wood left in the firebox after a slo/lo anyway, so no reason to add it during a smoke.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I've been very happy with mine, especially with the griddle insert for when I'm doing veggies to go with fajitas or scallops for surf and turf.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Just put a cast iron skillet on whatever grid you have. And as for lifting the grid to add wood chunks, I have a CI grid and whenever I need to remove it, I use one of those hand held garden rakes. Cheap and works very well. Can't see spending a ton of cash on a gimmick.

My CI grid lifter...

os28113.gif

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Forgot to mention... you really need to THINK before you post pics like that. There are children here. Seriously.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WhackMaster719
    Options
    Sorry Carolina, didn't mean to offend you. It was meant in humor. :( Didn't realize there are "children" on here.... I figured it was all adults based on some of the language I have seen flying around these threads. I will keep the rest of my post "PG" from now on! :evil:
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Yeah, the youngest I know of is 10 (I think). I've heard that some of the parents here like to peruse the forum with their kids.

Anyway, thanks.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut