Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2 " steaks, Sirlion & Tenderlion

GrillDaddy
GrillDaddy Posts: 295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,

I got some Sirlion & Tenderlion Beef Steaks at Costco. What temp(s) should I cook them? I did it once before at 500+ But the overcooked on outside and just right in center.

Thanks,

GrillDaddy

Comments

• Loco Lobo
    Loco Lobo Posts: 114
    This two step process works well. If you want the steak more to medium, I drop the second temperature to 350.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm
  • Hi GrillDaddy,

What I do - and there are a lot of ways to do it, BTW. I season my steaks and then "hot tub" them.
    Basically about 30-45 min or so before I cook them I put the steaks in a ziploc (or two ziplocs) and imerse in hot water. Hot in the sense as hot water coming from your tap. This will get your steaks intial cook temp up. Then I cook them at about 550-600F and get a good Sear. To me they are done at that point but others like them more done... Still, the steaks will not take nearly as long to get the center to cook to desired temp as a cold steaks.

I do mine (1.5" thick) steaks about 3min per side... 2" probably another 1min per side. I pull my steaks when about 120-125F using my thermopen to check the temp. 120-125 is a good MR (warm red center). Doing this you will get red all the way through. Med is about 130F (in my opinion).

Here a some pics:
    Hot tub:
    Steak.jpg

Sear/Cook:
    Steak-2.jpg

There are some other ways to do it too, so hopefully you get some other answers and use your best judgement.

FYI - As a seasoning I do kosher salt, fresh coursely ground pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and lately a light sprinkly of cayene. I use a light spray of canola oil and rub w/the back of a spoon to hold the spices on the steak. The little bit of cayene give it a little bite that I really like.

Hope this helps.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Loco Lobo,

You can reverse that too. Low cook sear at the end. I prefer the results that way.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON