Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Wings know how

Isolated01
Isolated01 Posts: 157
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How do you do your wings Indirect or Direct. I have always done them indirect and they have never made it into the hot sauce. Too good straight off the grill.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I do direct on a raised grid. -RP
  • have done direct, indirect, raised, not raised, CI, porceline --- just keep them on till good and crispy, then apply a little hot sauce, and put them back on for a few more minutes ;) have even done oriental marinades and ended up with crispy skin :)
    ALL GOOD :woohoo:
    500 Posts: 3,177
    I do them direct, raised rig, 300*. When crispy, pulled off and tossed in the sauce of choice and served.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    I'm in the minority I guess. I do mine indirect at 375f for 30 minutes, flip them.
    20 more minutes, toss them in whatever sauce and
    then 10 more minutes.

My 10 y/o son calls them 30-20-10 wings because that's how I taught him to remember how to cook them.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Direct, raised grid, with a small amount of charcoal. I like to keep the wings as far from the heat as possible.

This method gets them crisp without charring and goes a lot faster than cooking them indirect.
  • I used to do indirect, 400 degrees for about an hour.

The last few batches I've done direct, raised grid, usually with a smaller load of coal than I would use for any other cook, for about a half hour.

It's hard to compare batches eaten a couple weeks apart, but I THINK the indirect ones are more tender, but the direct ones (taking half the time) are a lot more convenient. Going indirect, however, you can do a multi-level cook, when you need to make a larger number.

Either way, cook them until they crisp up.
  • Memphistide
    Memphistide Posts: 207
    wing rack form Lowe's, 400 deg direct on a raise grid for 40 min, then 5 min at 500+ to get them crispy...OUTSTANDING
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    I like the "un-fried" breaded indirect on the Lowes wing rack about 2 hours @ 250*. I have a new favorite Sirachai Fire Roasted from nibblemethis.com that I do direct at 350* raised grid for about an hour. They are fantastic!