Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PIZZA HELP

EgginRN
EgginRN Posts: 102
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Getting ready to puts some pizzas on for my girls. Last minutes helpful hints: temp, time, setup?

Comments

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    I get our large BGE to 500f, preheating the stone on the plate setter, legs down. Then I put our dough in in for 2-3 minutes. Then top it with the sauce, toppings and cheese.

DSC_0127ppresized.jpg

Then I put it back in at 500f for 8-10 minutes until melted.

DSC_0135pp_resized.jpg

Then I pull the stone and pizza off and let it sit for 3-5 minutes, crisping up the crust.

That's just how I like them.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • 450-500 degree dome, plate setter feet down, 3 green feet on top of that, then pizza stone on top of feet. I make my pizza on a piece of parchment and then slide the parchment paper onto the egg.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Capn97
    Capn97 Posts: 18
    Great question as I am about to put a pizza on the LBGE as well. Could not remember if the stone went directly on the place setter of indirectly on the grill. Thanks for asking and looking forward to a great margarita pizza!
  • EggerDan
    EggerDan Posts: 105
    Here some pics of my first pizza cooks today on XL. Ordered a stone and showed up broke so went to plan B. Laid down a layer of fire brick.
    IMG_5838.jpg
    Then put the plate setter on with legs down. Probably 1 inch between the brick and setter. I started cooking the pizzas on parchment paper. I cooked some on the paper and some without. Worked both ways. Til I get a peel, cooking on the parchment paper helped a lot with the handling.
    IMG_5846.jpg
    Here is the first and last pie. I made total of 5. They were all cheese. I wanted it real simple til I had some experience. It worked extremely well. I would monitor the cook thru the top vent.
    IMG_5847.jpg
    IMG_5848.jpg
    IMG_5853.jpg
    I had 2 different doughs. Cook temp was 525F on first and 550F on rest. Times were 10 to 13 min depending on temp and dough.

Good luck, enjoy, and post some Pics.

Daniel
  • I do mine at 450 to 475 F. Platesetter in / on with legs down, then the grid and the stone atop that. I heat everything up as I go.
    My “feet” are under the Egg so I have gotten into using the grid as my spacer. Seems to work pretty well…I’ve also used washers and foil, but I like the grid best.
  • I guess I am late. Let me know if you had any difficulty with the pizza's. I could assist you with some tips. Send me an email.
  • Petunia
    Petunia Posts: 110
    Too late to be of help now but might help you for future reference. As you probably noted there is no one way to cook pizzas. However this is my set up.
    CIMG2516.JPG
    This puts the pizza up into the dome and allows you to check the doneness by looking through the top of the dome instead of opening the Egg.
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    I like that setup. Going to try that next.
  • EgginRN
    EgginRN Posts: 102
    Thank you! thats what i did but used grill as spacer. They turned out great. My 5 y/o's first pizza she was proud. David
  • Capn97
    Capn97 Posts: 18
    My pizza turned out great as well. A great meal for Good Friday. But I did torch the front part of my gasket! It seems the felt is okay but the glue was burnt off. Will try to replace with some new adhesive. Damn flash back... :(