Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

keeping the skin on grilled fish?

Options
Hungry Celeste
Hungry Celeste Posts: 534
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Grilled up whole flounder a few days ago, and despite my careful attention, I couldn't keep the skin on the fish. It stuck to the (clean) grill, even though I oiled it. Any secret tricks for keeping the skin intact on whole grilled fish? The flounder was tasty, but it wasn't as pretty as I would have liked (see pic).
p3191390_01.jpg

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Hungry Celeste,

Did you oil the fish or the grid? Oiling the fish works for me.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hungry Celeste
    Options
    I cleaned the grid thoroughly and oiled it a bit. Maybe I just needed to use a thicker coat of oil on the surface? I had an oil-based marinade on the fish (the photo shows some hoisin sauce I brushed on after I flipped it and it lost its skin).
  • joec
    joec Posts: 22
    Options
    I try to make sure I do not turn or mess with the fish until the grill marks are hot enough for the grill to separate from the fish. The skin seems to stick until it burns away from the grill. I gently try to lift the fish and if it starts to stick, I let it set for a short while longer.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Steve Raichlin shows that you should slide the fish back and forth on the grid when you first place it on..I agree with Little Steven and the oil thing also..