Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Spatchcock Chicken - I'm Now Spoiled

Jasper
Jasper Posts: 378
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I tried out my first spatchcock chicken cook, pretty much following Naked Whiz's method (thanks NW!). I have to say I'm now ruined for wanting chicken any other way. I can't think of any other time I've had juicier chicken. Blows away the beercan chicken I did a few weeks ago. It was amazing and my wife and kids agreed. My six year old kept saying "best chicken ever!" and my two year old who rarely eats a few bites, gobbled up almost half a breast.

Basically, I did a direct cook with a raised grid sitting on bricks. I seasoned it with some chili powder, Cajin mix and all-purpose veg. seasoning.

Here's the chicken ready to come out. I double checked the temp with two probes, just to make sure because my remote probe seemed a bit high.
DSC01971.jpg

A few scraps of breast meat left over, good for lunch tomorrow for the kids.
DSC01972.jpg

And for dessert, my wife whipped up a peach cobbler/cake type thing at the last minute. Turned out ok but the spices weren't quite right for the BBQ flavour of the charcoal.
DSC01976.jpg

All in all, not bad for a windy cold rainy night!

Tomorrow is pizza night!

Comments